Lawyers Want FTC to Investigate Google Buzz

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadow187

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009
9 year old girl operating Gmail and signing up for Google Buzz? Maybe a little more parental supervision then. I hate when media uses, "so-and-so little girl," WHERE ARE HER PARENTS?

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
So how exactly could this girl's age be determined by Google? They didn't ask for a drivers license or birth certificate when I signed up. What verification system is available for determining that someone entered a truthful birth date?

Shadow703793

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
The document, made public by the FTC Monday, said that the default Google Buzz settings caused a 9-year-old girl to accidentally share her contact list in Gmail with a person who had a "sexually charged" username. The incident is one of many cases where private information of Gmail users were exposed to "outsiders."[/quoote]
Parental Fail.

On the bright side she wasn't playing this: http://www.tomsguide.com/us/petz-monkeys-sprung-ds-game,news-6287.html

guitarpeggio

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
[citation][nom]fadsfds111[/nom]Is the author of this piece retarded? He or she seems to think that "lawmaker" and "lawyer" are the same thing. Here's a hint: One is an elected official, and the other is a professional legal consultant.[/citation]

Well HIS name is right below the headline. So I think the "he or she" part was unwarranted. Are you retarded?

babybeluga

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
[citation][nom]fadsfds111[/nom]Is the author of this piece retarded? He or she seems to think that "lawmaker" and "lawyer" are the same thing. Here's a hint: One is an elected official, and the other is a professional legal consultant.[/citation]

A lot of congressmen are lawyers (especially democrats).

I wish there was a reverse "how to catch a predator" to scare the crap out of retarded kids...

G

What can I say? Greedy fking lawmakers and lawyers and a screwed up justice system. I hope Gerard butler kills them.

chriskrum

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
[citation][nom]kittle[/nom]1st thing i did when buzz came out was turn it off[/citation]

If only that had actually worked. The off setting just made it so you couldn't see it. It still ran. Your info still appeared on other people's lists.

So much trouble could have been avoided if someone at Google had been familiar with the concept of an "on" switch--as in the user can decide to turn the feature on if they want to. This wasn't done because they wanted to launch the service with as many members as possible. The more members the more advertisers will pay.

Greed plus stupidity.

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
[citation][nom]babybeluga[/nom]A lot of congressmen are lawyers (especially democrats)[/citation]
Actually, last I checked, the majority of politicians from BOTH parties were lawyers, and there was no real partisan difference. There are a number of politicians on both sides that don't have law degrees, or didn't actually serve as lawyers; to name a few prominent representatives, on the Democrat side you've got Dennis Kucinich, whose degree is a masters in communication, and Bart Stupak, who, while with a law degree, served more as a state trooper. For Republicans, there's John Boehner, who has no education beyond a bachelor's degree, and was a businessman before entering politics. And of course, there's Ron Paul, who has an M.D. and worked as a surgeon before entering politics.

Status
Not open for further replies.