Leaving gaming laptop plugged in while gaming or downloading?

CBJ023

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013
Hey guys I was just wondering if I should have my laptop plugged into the wall when gaming. I also download a lot of games overnight and was wondering if I should leave it plugged in. For example last night I installed BF3 and BF4 which took at least 6 hours because it was 50gb total, so I left it plugged in overnight because I wasn't sure the battery would last long enough to install everything, is that bad for the laptop? If I plan to leave it on my desk for the day should I just take out the battery and keep it plugged in? (Just got the laptop yesterday it's a MSI GT60 Dominator 424).

Nightman

Estimable
Mar 16, 2014
Typically if you have an outlet nearby to plug it in, do so, especially during demanding tasks like gaming, or long tasks like downloads. The battery will last longer if you don't use it as much. That being said, I would still make sure you use the battery a bit at least every couple of days, because no use at all will also reduce its life.

FLiTE

Estimable
Jun 3, 2014
It is fine to leave your laptop plugged in a lot especially over night. People are always worried about the battery life diminishing, but there isn't anything you can do about that. You can just charge it when it needs it all you want but sooner or later you will need to replace the battery to keep the charge time you are going to want for it. It will take a while for you to notice a lower battery life anyway, so try not to keep it charging all the time, but don't worry about things like over night.

CBJ023

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013
Ok thank you guys so much for the help, I plan to try and keep the battery between 40% and 80% charge because I read that puts the least amount of wear on lithium-ion laptop batteries.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Laptop Tech Support 0
T Laptop Tech Support 9
Gamesquid17 Laptop Tech Support 18
C Laptop Tech Support 1
B Laptop Tech Support 1
A Laptop Tech Support 11
O Laptop Tech Support 3
D Laptop Tech Support 1
D Laptop Tech Support 1
2 Laptop Tech Support 1
J Laptop Tech Support 1