Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Switch or Wii U?

Status
Not open for further replies.

richbruiser

Prominent
Feb 27, 2017
Wii U has a second screen (gamepad)... What will it do? That's potentially the biggest difference in my opinion... Depending on what it adds.

Jason_241

Prominent
Mar 2, 2017
I have been trying to find this info too. It sounds as if Nintendo removed the second screen stuff to match the switch. If the WiiU does offer the second screen functionality they demoed a year ago, that would mean more then barely noticeable visual/sound upgrade.

Jason_241

Prominent
Mar 2, 2017
The demo-ed the second screen WiiU stuff a year ago. Did they remove that stuff to match Switch version?
That would trump any barely noticeable visual/sound upgrade.

richbruiser

Prominent
Feb 27, 2017

From what I 've read, the Wii U version has been neutered to match the Switch version under the b.s. claim that the second-screen inventory/map management, which is only possible on the Wii U, takes away from the game. We all know the truth...that it would take away from Switch sales. The Wii U would arguably be the superior version of the game by including that functionality.

I'll find out tomorrow how much this irks me when I get my Wii U copy. As of this time, I can't find any non-Switch reviews of the game by major sites.

Jason_241

Prominent
Mar 2, 2017
Cool, Let us know. I'm leaning WiiU. No need for a portable and still have not used that pro controller yet. If the second screen inventory/map stuff has been scratched. :| Still have Horizon to dive into (loving it) plus feeling burned by last two console Zeldas.

Jason_241

Prominent
Mar 2, 2017
Shows map/inventory and has admittedly lackluster accelerometer stuff. Link even carries a slate in the game to mimic a WiiU tablet! LOL!. I personally like this stuff displayed like on DS/3DS games. Also the only real knock on the game has been inventory management.

Here is a demo less then a year ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwYnjKCyODI

ceefax

Estimable
Feb 11, 2015
The answer is simple; for now at least, the Wii U version of Breath of the Wild is far superior. The Switch version requires a £280 investment for entry (not including the game price) and it runs with significant frame rate drops if played on the TV screen. That is because the Switch isn't significantly more powerful than the Wii U and when running Zelda on the big screen, it does so at 900p. Granted that problem vanishes when you Switch (annoying click sound) to the tablet - but the Wii U side-hops the issue by just pushing the game out at 720p regardless of whether you're on the gamepad or TV.

That's before we've even taken into account the Switch's horrible teething problems; such as the de-syncing joycon (hmm 'con' I see what you did there Ninty) and the numerous glitches and bricked systems.

Yes Nintendo might fix the Switch, but right now there's only one format worth playing it on. That said - even if Nintendo fix their dubious new hardware - there's a new contender in the arena; CEMU. In just a matter of days, the boys at CEMU have taken their emulator from a state in which it wouldn't run BotW at all, to booting into the menu screen - and now (using the latest version) you can actually run the game - albeit with choppy frame-rate, no sound and numerous glitches. But the future looks bright. CEMU will already run the Mario stable of Wii U titles at 60 fps and 4k (providing you PC has the grunt) so I know which format I'll be playing my second round of BotW on. Aint life a switch Nintendo!

Jason_241

Prominent
Mar 2, 2017
You had me up until you made it clear that you just steal and play games illegally!! That you are willing to put up with many technical glitches and inconveniences to do so. What a freaking hypocrite!

Graybush

Estimable
I just got the game for the WiiU. Yes, they did remove the second inventory menu for the U version, but it still matches the mobile functionality (although for short distances, it certainly helps when you gotta step away from the tv during a cut scene).

Personally I think the game came out for both platforms as a way to bridge the generation gap between Nintendo players. I didn't have the budget to drop on the switch, and I already had a Nintendo console already so getting the game was a no-brainer for me. Visually speaking I only saw a minor difference between the two versions of the game.

So regardless of console, I highly suggest people to get the game anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.