Lenovo black screen after update can't boot in safe mode or from usb

jonasn

Commendable
Oct 28, 2016
Hi!
I have a Lenovo Y510P with windows 10, for about 2 weeks ago it did an automatic update and since then I haven't been able to start it. I just get a black screen and nothing else, the fan starts and the computer keys light up, but nothing else.
This happened like 3 times before but then it always started again after like 2 days if I just restarted the computer.

I've tried taking the battery and the ac adapter out and holding the power button for 30 sec.
I've tried booting from a USB and from a external cd drive but nothing happens.
I've tried pressing f8, f2 and f9 while starting but still just the black screen.

Everything I've tried so far has just resulted in the same black screen.
Does anyone have any idea what there is to do?

Thank you!

Solution
Was the automatic update for Windows 10 by any chance? If yes, this is real common issue with the update. Hence why I am avoiding 10. :)

Try the following and see if it will help.

1. Power off the laptop.
2. Power on the laptop.
3. As soon as you see the rotating loading circle, press and hold the Power Button until the computer shuts off.
4. Repeat this process a few times until you see the "Preparing Automatic Repair" screen.
5. Now you want to let the laptop boot to the "Automatic Repair" screen.
6. Click "Advanced Options" and then select "Troubleshoot".
7. Here you want to select "Refresh your PC", if you do not wish to erase data, or "Reset your PC" to erase all data and restore your system.
8. From here just follow the screen...
Was the automatic update for Windows 10 by any chance? If yes, this is real common issue with the update. Hence why I am avoiding 10. :)

Try the following and see if it will help.

1. Power off the laptop.
2. Power on the laptop.
3. As soon as you see the rotating loading circle, press and hold the Power Button until the computer shuts off.
4. Repeat this process a few times until you see the "Preparing Automatic Repair" screen.
5. Now you want to let the laptop boot to the "Automatic Repair" screen.
6. Click "Advanced Options" and then select "Troubleshoot".
7. Here you want to select "Refresh your PC", if you do not wish to erase data, or "Reset your PC" to erase all data and restore your system.
8. From here just follow the screen instructions until the recovery is completed.

NOTE: You will need to get into the "Advanced Options" in order to get the "Refresh Option". This choice will keep your data, but any programs installed will be lost.

Do not do a "Reset" as that will wipe all data you have on the laptop.

Solution