Solved! Lenovo G50-30 won't start

Xexy

Prominent
Mar 15, 2020
Hello,
today I've ran into a problem with my parent's Lenovo G50-30. When I turned it on, it got blue screen with an info that laptop needs to be fixed with error code 0xc0000185. I tried to get into system recovery mode but it does not work - loading for a while and a black screen shows. Then I tried to put a pendrive with windows image to try to repair it, because I thought that windows files somehow crashed, but it does not work either - black screen with windows logo and loading forever (gave up after 1 hour). Next I tried to get into BIOS setting but it couldn't do it - after selecting "bios settings" in menu, screen goes black and the only thing is white ( _ ) sign in left corner. I've came up with and idea to insert pendrive with linux and see if I could install it or at least start it with LiveCD mode and linux in LiveCD mode is working fine. Next I've unplugged the hard drive and it solved the BIOS problem - I can enter BIOS settings normally.
Do you think that all that mess is 100% because of broken hard drive and all I need is just replacing it? I don't have any other SATA drive that I could try to check if it solves a problem.

Solution
Hello,
today I've ran into a problem with my parent's Lenovo G50-30. When I turned it on, it got blue screen with an info that laptop needs to be fixed with error code 0xc0000185. I tried to get into system recovery mode but it does not work - loading for a while and a black screen shows. Then I tried to put a pendrive with windows image to try to repair it, because I thought that windows files somehow crashed, but it does not work either - black screen with windows logo and loading forever (gave up after 1 hour). Next I tried to get into BIOS setting but it couldn't do it - after selecting "bios settings" in menu, screen goes black and the only thing is white ( _ ) sign in left corner. I've came up with and idea to insert pendrive...
I'm not sure why a bad HD would cause you to not be able to get into the BIOS, but that seems to be the case. One last test you could try easily would be to purchase a SATA to USB adapter cable (about $20) and see if you can access the drive using another computer. If you replace the drive, I would recommend a SSD unless you need a huge amount of storage.

Deciplox

Great
Dec 8, 2020
Hello,
today I've ran into a problem with my parent's Lenovo G50-30. When I turned it on, it got blue screen with an info that laptop needs to be fixed with error code 0xc0000185. I tried to get into system recovery mode but it does not work - loading for a while and a black screen shows. Then I tried to put a pendrive with windows image to try to repair it, because I thought that windows files somehow crashed, but it does not work either - black screen with windows logo and loading forever (gave up after 1 hour). Next I tried to get into BIOS setting but it couldn't do it - after selecting "bios settings" in menu, screen goes black and the only thing is white ( _ ) sign in left corner. I've came up with and idea to insert pendrive with linux and see if I could install it or at least start it with LiveCD mode and linux in LiveCD mode is working fine. Next I've unplugged the hard drive and it solved the BIOS problem - I can enter BIOS settings normally.
Do you think that all that mess is 100% because of broken hard drive and all I need is just replacing it? I don't have any other SATA drive that I could try to check if it solves a problem.

i do apologize in advance, as soon as i saw blue screen i stopped reading. blue screen of death can be caused by poorly written device drivers or malfunctioning hardware, such as faulty memory, power supply issues, overheating of components, or hardware running beyond its specification limits.

i recommend a fresh install

Solution