Lenovo G505s overheating problems

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Amitav Haldipur

Honorable
Jul 31, 2013
Hello Everyone!

This is my first time here, I recently bought a Lenovo G505s with an A10 2.5 GHz, 8GB DDR3 RAM and 2.5GB of graphics (ATi 8650G + 8570M Dual Graphics). I am facing two problems.

1. After about 30-45 minutes of gaming, the laptop gets really hot and just shuts off to prevent the internal components from melting. I wanted to know if there is anyway to increase the fan speed as it doesn't seem to increase on its own when the GPU heats up?

2. When I check the temperatures of the laptop when on idle, the processor's temperature keeps fluctuating from anywhere between 81C to 92C. This isn't normal right? Also is HWMonitor a reliable temperature monitor?

Here's a screen shot when it is idling:
Screenshot_1.png

Thanks.

Solution

That's not going to fix it.

Unfortunately there is no software that controls the fans other than what the manufacturer provides (if anything). Laptop fans have a 'fan profile' programmed into the system board, so third party applications tend to not work with laptop fans.

Your temps are WAY too high for idle; it sounds like there may be a problem with the heat sink(s) or heat pipe(s). If this is under warranty, it should go back. The only time negligence warrants those temps is when lots of dust, hair, etc. clogs the fans and heat sinks badly, and/or the laptop is placed on something that does not allow it to dissipate heat properly (like a bed comforter).

And yes: HWiNFO is a good utility for...

rakshith440

Honorable
Jan 19, 2014

Its all right when running on battery, but when plugged in its lags..

ali ibr

Honorable
Jan 21, 2014
first of all must update VGA driver , then try go to control panel power option < change advanced power settings < processor power management < set maximum power state to 90 to pretend overheating , and also use energy management dust removal to cool the system when you feel it becoming hot , but after updating my windows to 8.1 build 9600 and drivers , the heating problem was disappeared , only when gaming it get bit higher ... wish this could help

rakshith440

Honorable
Jan 19, 2014

So i will install Windows 8.1??

iko22

Estimable
May 20, 2014
You could try this, I have the same laptop, and have the same problem. Fixed Now:

Go to The Lenovo Support Website and there is a BIOS software update. It covers problems like overheating and CPU problems like lagging when plugged in for A10 and A8 AMD processors.:

http://mobilesupport.lenovo.com/gb/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/lenovo-g-series-laptops/lenovo-g505s-notebook/downloads/DS038577

Download the .exe file and Extract it. (To extract there may be a password but it is next to the download link on the page once you have clicked on BIOS). Instructions are on the Page

Hope I have Helped