Lenovo Laptop Best choice?

sterzian24

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
I am looking for a lenovo laptop what would be recommended for a very good battery life computer that has very high specs. I was thinking about the X series or the U series. I saw some ideapads had much better specs for less cost but was told to stick away from them. I would also like to get the new intel core laptop, any suggestions?

Solution

Keep in mind that, if you're looking for a Lenovo laptop for its build quality, that the IdeaPads do not fit into Lenovo's reputation for build quality. Lenovo's reputation for build quality stems primarily from the build quality of the Thinkpad T/W series and some of the X series, and it falsely skews the reputation of other notebook lines produced by the company. One cannot generalize notebook...
What exactly do you mean by "very high specs"? If you are looking for a gaming laptop then the X series is not what you want. They only come with the Intel HD 3000 graphics core that is integrated into the CPU. The same can be said of the U series with the exception of the U400 laptops which comes with a Radeon HD 6470 discrete graphics card. It's better than the Intel HD 3000, but it is not exactly considered a high end graphics card. You can probably play games with a mix of low and medium settings depending on the game.

I generally don't recommend the Lenovo Y470 series since they tend to run hot. Based on pictures and other owners of that laptop, there is an excessive amount of thermal paste applied to the Y470. While thermal paste is used to help transfer heat from the surface of the CPU to the heatsink to cool down the CPU, too much thermal paste acts like a heat insulator. The situation is easy to fix, all you need to do is take apart the laptop, clean off all the thermal paste and then apply your own thermal paste like Arctic Silver 5 or IC Diamond. However, doing so will void your warranty.

I know of no consistent CPU heat issues with the Lenovo Y570, so that should be a safe laptop to buy.

If all you are looking for is a powerful CPU then the X and U series should be fine.

edit1754

Distinguished
May 14, 2012

Keep in mind that, if you're looking for a Lenovo laptop for its build quality, that the IdeaPads do not fit into Lenovo's reputation for build quality. Lenovo's reputation for build quality stems primarily from the build quality of the Thinkpad T/W series and some of the X series, and it falsely skews the reputation of other notebook lines produced by the company. One cannot generalize notebook brands.

If you're looking for Lenovo because you would like a notebook that has high build quality, and game performance is not of high priority, then you should look at these models:
- Lenovo Thinkpad T420 - Get the 1600x900 display upgrade; Get the free Intel wireless card upgrade
- Lenovo Thinkpad T420s - Get the free Intel wireless card upgrade
- Lenovo Thinkpad T520 - Get the 1600x900 or 1920x1080 display upgrade; Get the free Intel wireless card upgrade
- Lenovo Thinkpad W520 - Get the 1600x900 or 1920x1080 display upgrade; Get the free Intel wireless card upgrade
- Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - Get the IPS display upgrade; Get the free Intel wireless card upgrade

You can get a very good discount on these models through the 16th if you buy through the Barnes and Noble Gold discount. Follow this link to the page, create a free account, then log in and click the link for the deal. After doing so, don't click on the models you see right away, browse through Lenovo's site so you can base your configuration off of the cheapest base model.

If you have a sizable budget, would like Thinkpad-grade build quality, and would like mid-range game performance, then the Lenovo Thinkpad W520 would suit those needs.

--------

But if you're not looking particularly for build quality or if none of those Thinkpad models appeal to you, then you should not limit yourself to Lenovo. In fact, there are a multitude of laptops that I would recommend far over the models currently available in the IdeaPad line.

Solution