Solved! Lenovo laptop turns on but only shows black screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 22, 2019
My Lenovo laptop will turn on but will only show a black screen. I've tried the shift + F8 method and i have no removable battery.

Please help ASAP.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Try this:

1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
  2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
  3. Turn on the external monitor.
  4. Turn on the laptop.

NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the F4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

If you can't see on the external monitor at all, or the problem occurs on the external monitor as well, then it is probably the graphics card/GPU that is the problem, which may require replacing the motherboard.

You may also want to try hitting CTRL + SHIFT + WIN + B to try and...
Try this:

4. Turn on the laptop.

NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the F4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

If you can't see on the external monitor at all, or the problem occurs on the external monitor as well, then it is probably the graphics card/GPU that is the problem, which may require replacing the motherboard.

You may also want to try hitting CTRL + SHIFT + WIN + B to try and reset your graphics driver as another possible fix.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
May 12, 2019
Try this...

4. Turn on the laptop.

NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can't see on the external monitor at all, or the problem occurs on the external monitor as well, then it is probably the graphics card/GPU that is the problem, which may require the motherboard be replaced.

You may also want to try hitting CTRL + SHIFT + WIN + B to try and reset your graphics driver as another possible fix.
Thank you! I was about to start a presentation when the screen and the projector went blank. I could fortunately carry on when I accidentally disconneted the power cable. The first 4 steps worked:)

Sep 1, 2019
My laptop has recently had a problem with a black screen and the power button keeps blinking,I've tried the shift+f8 but that ain't working and I need this laptop for college can anyone tell me instructions or if my laptop is screwed and I need a new 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.