Lenovo laptop wont turn on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

iboycott

Honorable
Dec 21, 2013
My Lenovo laptop has been recently shutting down and wont turn back on. I was able to get it to turn back on yesterday after I took out the battery but then it still shut off with the battery out. Any ideas?

Solution
Here's something I found which may (or not) be of help "the secret power button code to revive your dead Thinkpad. After assessing the situation (totally dead laptop) he warned me: “Okay, this is going to sound totally bizarre, but I want you to give this a try…” He then had me unplug the AC adapter and take out the battery. Then, you push the power button 10 times in a row at one second intervals. Next, you push and hold the power button for 30 seconds. Then you put the battery back in and push the power button… and she lives. The computer came back, good as ever."
found here http://www.masnick.com/2007/09/07/the-secret-thinkpad-powerbutton-code-to-bring-dead-laptops-back-to-life/ in reference to Thinkpads from the IBM days but I've...
One of the most common problems encountered with a laptop are heat related issues. I will suggest monitoring your temperatures with a program such as Speedfan or CoreTemp to see if you are experiencing heat problems. What surface is the laptop used on most often? Does it feel hot when it shuts down?

iboycott

Honorable
Dec 21, 2013
I can't even turn on the laptop so I won't be able to check temperatures right? And I normally use it on a wooden desk and the laptop doesn't feel too hot when it shuts down.

Sort of sounds like a poly-fuse issue. Poly-fuses are nice in that they reset themselves (don't need to replace when "blown") but it also sounds as though (at least) one is acting a bit wonky. I'll look into what I can find out about that and any possible work-arounds or fixes. It may also be a real problem causing the poly-fuse to blow or it may not even be related (I think it is).

Here's something I found which may (or not) be of help "the secret power button code to revive your dead Thinkpad. After assessing the situation (totally dead laptop) he warned me: “Okay, this is going to sound totally bizarre, but I want you to give this a try…” He then had me unplug the AC adapter and take out the battery. Then, you push the power button 10 times in a row at one second intervals. Next, you push and hold the power button for 30 seconds. Then you put the battery back in and push the power button… and she lives. The computer came back, good as ever."
found here http://www.masnick.com/2007/09/07/the-secret-thinkpad-powerbutton-code-to-bring-dead-laptops-back-to-life/ in reference to Thinkpads from the IBM days but I've heard where it still works on Lenovos - something to try if needed

Solution
I don't know that the 1sec interval combination is required before holding down the power for ~30 seconds - normal reset for a laptop is to remove battery and adapter and press and hold power for 30 seconds but in this case that didn't work which is why I suggested the "secret code".
Basically what you are doing then is draining residual electrical charges from the device which resets the gates and switches of the I.C.'s (Integrated Circuits) in the PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.