Lenovo restart failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 21, 2018
Code:
I was listening to music the other day using my lenovo 100 ideapad laptop and unfortunately i got busy so i didnt shut it down. I assumed it would automatically because thats how ive set it. (That is after 10 minutes of inactivity it should shut down even if put to sleep). Its been 2 days since i used it and today when i went to turn it on it flashed like it does when it powers on but it only does so until the LENOVO logo appears then it goes off and then on again. This is happening repeatedly so i cant even select any option i key in using the keyboard in my trial to boot it. I have tried everything even pressing on the power button (built on the side) for a long time time so that it shuts down but nothing. I dont know what to do anymore. Help.
Ps: i dont think removing its battery is an option since its inbuilt. Thank you.

Solution

That somewhat helps narrow it down to either a problem with Windows or the hard drive.

You might try booting from an external USB thumb drive with Windows on it, or with a Windows DVD. You can run Windows repair tools from either one.

If Windows 10, you can download the USB setup tool here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
Note: If this problem started after an update (or system reinstall), please make sure the laptop is not connected to the internet in any way before you use the following instructions.

Try the following...

1. Power off the laptop.
2. Power on the laptop.
3. As soon as you see the rotating loading circle, press and hold the Power Button until the computer shuts off.
4. Repeat this process a few times until you see the "Preparing Automatic Repair" screen.
5. Now you want to let the laptop boot to the "Automatic Repair" screen.
6. Click "Advanced Options" and then select "Troubleshoot".
7. Here you want to select "Refresh your PC", if you do not wish to erase data, or "Reset your PC" to erase all data and restore your system.
8. From here just follow the screen instructions until the recovery is completed.

NOTE: You will need to get into the "Advanced Options" in order to get the "Refresh Option". This choice will keep your data, but any programs installed will be lost.

Do not do a "Reset" as that will wipe all data you have on the laptop.

Another version of this is the following...

1. Power off the laptop.
2. Power on the laptop.
3. When screen turns black, hit F10 and ALT repeatedly until the computer shuts off.
4. To fix the computer you should choose the second option listed.
5. When the next screen loads, choose the option "Reset Device".
6. Now choose which ever type of reset you wish.
7. Your computer should now restore itself to "Factory Settings".

NOTE: If you get a message saying "Error Resetting Device", then you should have the computer looked at by the manufacturer (if still under warranty) or by a tech.

May 21, 2018

I cannot access any function on screen. My main issue is the recurring on and off startup going on. Cause no matter what key i press the laptop doesnt stay up to long for it to accept the command. Then the starting up cycle seems to be faulty also because its coming on and off so fast than usual. Like an interrupted power on / off. Similar to how fast your laptop goes to sleep.

May 21, 2018

I mean pressing the power button for like 30 secs so it shuts down but it doesnt. I mean pressing the windows key, trying to reboot but the only options coming on screen once in a while are
Normal start up
System recovery
Boot
And something else but whenever i press any it doesnt seem to work because the system loads for a while then powers on and off. And this continues. Note: I cannot access any function on screen nor can i shut the laptop down. Now im just waiting for it to drain its charge so it goes off.

That somewhat helps narrow it down to either a problem with Windows or the hard drive.

You might try booting from an external USB thumb drive with Windows on it, or with a Windows DVD. You can run Windows repair tools from either one.

If Windows 10, you can download the USB setup tool here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.