Lenovo Smart Display Review: One-Upping the Echo Show

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 26, 2018
Please provide a review of the Amazon Show Mode Dock, which basically turns your Fire HD 8 or 10 into an Echo Show.

Alex Jenkins

Estimable
Feb 26, 2014
I can't find ANY information about Google's new products that were supposed to come out end of July. Were they doing a new design on their Home items as well? Weren't there other screen devices like this one you just showcased?

selden

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2012
Re accessibility to Youtube videos, I would be gobsmacked if it will be possible to buy one of these on Amazon.com, which is blocking sales of any Google device that competes with their products.

Jul 27, 2018
Costco support said they sold out in minutes. I told them their buyer should be talked to for not doing their job.

jdroberts.ha

Honorable
Aug 21, 2018
The two companies keep leapfrogging each other when it comes to features, which is good for consumers since they usually add the features to device is already deployed.

One echo show advantage that you missed in the review is that the Google device can't (yet) do drop-in video, making the echo much better as a baby monitor.

mprospero

Senior Editor
Oct 4, 2013

mprospero

Senior Editor
Oct 4, 2013
That is a good point re: Drop-In, but the one knock against using the Echo Show, Spot, or the Smart Display as a baby monitor is that all of their cameras are angled upwards, so it's a lot harder to point them down into a crib than it is a camera that's mounted on a swivel.

Jul 27, 2018

Too bad for you. Good luck. Try apple

Dec 23, 2018
I own the 8" and the two 10", and I think they're identical other than screen size. The 10" version has a sound problem (the 8" appears not to have the issue). The sound starts out soft and then gradually gets louder. What's annoying about this is every time you ask google a question, you can't hear the first couple words of her response back to you. This issue almost makes it unusable. This can be fixed with a easy firmware update. I have gave them feedback multiple but still the same. At first I thought I just got a defective 10", as my 8" stilled worked fine. After returning and exchanging the 10" for another, the new one does the exact same thing. The second 10" was a gift to my daughter and with the issue she asked for me to exchange for the Google Hub or the JBL version. I will probably do the same with mine. I have lost all respect for Lenovo by not addressing this problem since this is a known problem from reading through there forums.

Dec 28, 2018
what about cameas? you said nothing about cameras...? Does it work with the Nest products? Thermostat, Security Cameras, etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.