Lenovo y400 wifi not working properly

schwifty

Prominent
Feb 20, 2017
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum, and I'm using this as a possibility to find a solution to my problem which I've had for almost 3 weeks and I have not been able to repair, maybe someone from here with way more experience and knowledge than me can help me... Now to the Problem.

Basically what I have been experiencing is:
1. My computer does not connect to a WiFi network (regardless of the network).
2. If it connects it can disconnect randomly and connection don't last too long.
3. Successful connections depend on the position of my laptop. To be more specific: the closer I am to the modem the better the signal and the speed, but if I take one or 2 steps back the connection speed and signal decreases a lot, to the point that maybe within 10 to 15 steps from the modem it disconnects and the only way to connect again is to stand and connect where the modem is.
4. Connection is very unstable.
5. I have other devices connected to this networks and the connection and devices work perfectly fine.
6. when the laptop tries to connect, the wireless signal drops to 0 and the comes back after it fails to connect.

Possible solutions I have tried:
1. reset IP address.
2. reset modem.
3. reinstalled drivers manually after deletion in device administration.
4. changed the wireless card for a new one (compatible ill paste the specifics)
5. checked for viruses and malware with rkill, ultraadwarekill, tdsskiller, adwcleaner, etc...
6. did a scan with Lenovo companion software and failed to pass the network exploration test, the signal potency test, and local connection test.
7. opted out from the "shutdown wireless to save power" configuration.

Side note: Bluetooth and Ethernet work fine.

PC Specs:
Lenovo Y400
System: Windows 10
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz
Ram: 6 Gb
Wireless: Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter
MAC: 14:2D:27:E4:98:17
MODEL: 2x2 ABGN+BT4.0 WLAN Card BCM943228HMB,FRU 20200221
Driver: Broadcom
version: 7.35.333.0
date of driver: 23/11/2015

Please help me... this issue is very annoying and I have no idea what else I can do.

Thank you in advance.

Solution
So the Ethernet works? If that is the case, I would start to wonder if your WiFi is just needing replacement.

However I would suggest rebooting the modem just to be sure. Even when other items work fine, all it takes is one.
Try this....

1. Go to "Control Panel".

2. Next go to "Network and Internet" and then "Network and Sharing".

3. Now click on "Manage Wireless Networks".

4. On this screen, remove all wireless connections by "right clicking" on it and select "Remove network" from the drop down menu.

5. After doing this, close the open windows and reboot the computer.

6. Once the computer is fully reloaded, scan for the "Wi-Fi networks".

7. Click on the available network that you want to access and select "connect".

8. It takes a moment, but then you will be asked to give a password for your Wi-Fi connection. Type in the password and click the "connect" button.

It should now be connected.

NOTE: If this doesn't work, and you still get connection/speed problems, test seeing if your laptop will connect via Ethernet. If so, then your WiFi card may be going. You can either look to replace it/have it replaced, or get an external (plugs in via USB) WiFi card.

schwifty

Prominent
Feb 20, 2017

Hi,

Thank you for the response,

I tried this already several times and it doesn't work, and I already changed my WiFi card, I have not tried to plug an external one though.

Any other suggestions?