Lenovo Y50 - Should I return it?

Fishlol69

Estimable
Jul 15, 2015
I bought a Lenovo Y50-70 recently on Newegg for 860$, it's the best cheap gaming laptop I could find. However, while it was shipping, I researched online about it, and apparently within 2-6 months the hinges are supposed to break and it snaps in half.

The laptop came in yesterday, and the first thing I realized when I opened it is that the screen bends a bit while you open it. An ordinary laptop opens perfectly straight, but I feel like the Lenovo Y50 is really fragile and if I open it too hard it can snap. The hinges are pretty minimalistic -- its just two tiny things that hold up the screen, rather than the entire edge of the laptop holding up the screen.

It came with no warranty (I think) and a 30-day return policy. Should I keep it? Should I return it before it breaks? It took me a very long time to save up that much money, I really don't want it to go to waste in two months. Maybe I should try gaming on it before I make a decision?

Solution

You cannot get parts online anymore, not on ebay, not from lenovo they told me personally that they no longer have any parts and to just return any new y-50's as they can no longer repair them.

not to mention they run hotter than a flamethrower, mine was new in box when i got it, when i started it up was 80 celcius on idle with nothing running at all.
Hi,

Normally the life of a laptop depends on how you use it. If i were you I would take it back a replace it with a new one if you feel that it's not the laptop for you. :) I would also suggest reading or watching video review on laptops that you'll be purchasing first before buying it. If you can also, research more on it's Pro's and Con's that should help you choose what laptop is best for you. :) And lastly, there's no perfect laptop :) all laptops has their weaknesses, and again it depends on how you'll use it for.

Fishlol69

Estimable
Jul 15, 2015
The hinge thing is my main concern, the laptop itself is great.
I looked up videos and such, it seems that its fixable, and it should be fixed once its making weird sounds or something.

Purpletalon55

Respectable
Apr 2, 2016

You cannot get parts online anymore, not on ebay, not from lenovo they told me personally that they no longer have any parts and to just return any new y-50's as they can no longer repair them.

not to mention they run hotter than a flamethrower, mine was new in box when i got it, when i started it up was 80 celcius on idle with nothing running at all.

Solution

Purpletalon55

Respectable
Apr 2, 2016

I order from chinese sellers all the time with 100% reviews and havent gotten a lemon yet, but i never pay for anything pricey from them. Plus i sell on ebay which is why i judge others harshly.

My Life Is Tech

Estimable
Apr 23, 2014
Ah, I suppose I'm just concerned for the fraud that I hear about with China making and selling fake, defective, counterfeit, or replicas of items and terrible customer service/return polices. Plus it's expensive to ship it back overseas, especially on a budget and when you have to pay return shipping and lose out on $ by having to return it. And shipping it to you can be expensive as well. But of course experiences vary from person to person.

Fishlol69

Estimable
Jul 15, 2015
My Lenovo Y50 is in my possession for the third day now. I played Battlefield 4 on it for about an hour, and it runs fine. The WASD keys got a little warm but it didn't get hot.

So far this is the best laptop I have ever seen and touched, and it's my first laptop ever, that I own. I use the touchscreen more often than I thought I would, the screen looks beautiful...
I'm worried about the hinge thing, but it looks fixable from a lot of the videos I saw.
I'm also worried since its big and feels fragile, that I can't travel with it a lot.

Should I return it, or keep it? I love it a lot, but what if it breaks really badly?

Fishlol69

Estimable
Jul 15, 2015

But I can just loosen the nut/screw on the left side of the hinge when I hear noises that normally aren't there

And It didn't come with any warranty, I got it from Newegg for 860$

Purpletalon55

Respectable
Apr 2, 2016

Even losening it will not work in the long run as its a defect with the hinges themselves, it may last longer but you will inevitably run into the issue as its meal on plastic the plastic will shear off.

Fishlol69

Estimable
Jul 15, 2015

Are you sure? How do you know? I'm pretty certain that the hinges themselves are just too tight, but other than that they're okay. I've compared opening and closing other laptops -- The only issue is that the hinges are too tight, the screen bends a little when you try to open it, and it just feels stiff compared to other laptops. To me it seems to be just the tightness.

I would like to read what other people have to say

Purpletalon55

Respectable
Apr 2, 2016

I have owned the touch model and I speak from what lenovo told me.