Lenovo Y70 Screen Flickering

Status
Not open for further replies.

draganot

Estimable
Oct 9, 2015
So I got a lenovo y70 touch, unfortunately shortly after i got it i started to get flickering lines across my entire screen. Very small, typically gray, on some webpages (colorful ones) the lines are rainbow colored. if the flickering lines get bad enough my screen just goes black. If this was the kind of thing that happened every now and then i could live with it (the lines, the black screen is only an issue if i scroll rapidly and ALOT on the webpage), but now its just too intrusive, all the time it seems. I cannot figure out how to fix this, i do however know for sure it is not drivers or the monitor as i have updated all my drivers and even connected to external displays to check for the issue. The issue appears physical but im not great with hardware so i have no more ideas. I really want to get this fixed, i do NOT want to have to return or exchange it, ive already settled into this laptop and i am quite happy with everything but this issue.

Please note: this is y70, not a y50. many solutions i have found are exclusively for the y50 and will NOT work for a y70 due to the way it is physically built. Also, may help to mention it but it only really happens on my integrated gpu not my dedicated gpu. (still happens on dedicated but usually for only a single minute or two on starting a game then disappears completely for the duration of play.)

Hi,

Please do try updating the graphics card driver first.
- Go to Device Manager and uninstall the NVIDIA graphics driver
- Download and install the latest driver from NVIDIA support site.
- Here's the link where you can download it. nvidia.com/download/index.aspx
- Once installed do reboot your laptop for all the changes to take effect.

Side questions.
- Does the flickering happen using an external monitor as well? Because if it does you may really need to send it for a repair since it's a graphics card issue.
- Does it happen even the laptop is in BIOS as well? While the laptop is in BIOS observe if it will still flicker because if it does it could also the display itself.

draganot

Estimable
Oct 9, 2015

i have already updated all my drivers, i actually had some issues with the nvidia geforce experience application and completely reinstalled the drivers (which fixed that issue). screen does not flicker with external monitors at all. and unfortunately im not sure what BIOS means or how to check if its in BIOS or not.

Fazone

Estimable
Oct 26, 2015
I have read the hybrid drive Lenovo uses in this Laptop causes this problem. A lot of people are upgrading to a better drive. What I did was install Intel's (Intel Rapid Storage Technology app). It seems to have helped in reducing the flickering. It may or may not help you. I would give it a try. Just make sure it's running every time you reboot. I don't have a link. Just Google it. Hope this helps.

draganot

Estimable
Oct 9, 2015

i think i already have the Intel rapid storage technology app. But ill double check my settings if i do and if not ill try it out. hopefully this works

bmw-vision

Estimable
Sep 8, 2015
I've seen flickering lines on another Lenovo (Mini 10), in this case, the screen plug/ribbon was a bit loose in the connection, by re-inserting the plug the problem was fixed. This meant the monitor would have the issue, but external screens didn't.
May or may not be the problem, but might be worth a look.

draganot

Estimable
Oct 9, 2015

would this be located behind the screen or located on the bottom of the laptop? if its behind the screen then i have no idea because i dont think the y70 has a easily removable screen. (if at all)

bmw-vision

Estimable
Sep 8, 2015

Usually it is located on the motherboard, although it could be on either side (Front or back), it will require a bit a disassembly to get to it though. I would only recommend checking this as a last resort (All other ideas fail), and even then, only if you feel confident enough to do it, otherwise get someone else more experienced or a computer shop to check it for you.
http://www.myfixguide.com/manual/lenovo-y50-disassembly/

draganot

Estimable
Oct 9, 2015

I tried and it turns out my bios was already the most recent version. The step 2 Intel thing did nothing to help, and I don't seem to have panel self refresh settings in my Intel control center.
The only "fix" I've been able to find is useing it over hdmi with my tv as a sorta substitute moniter. Not as good as my tv is only 1280x720 and not 1920x1080 but at least it doesn't flicker. Also very inconvenient as it's difficult to write an essay when you have to constantly deal with putting it into sleep mode and taking it out to turn the screen back on after it flickers for awhile. I also don't have a wireless keyboard. I really need a true fix :/

Status
Not open for further replies.