Question Lenovo Yoga 920 won't start on battery when shut down, but starts with AC

Mar 24, 2023
Have replaced my battery, because the old one did not have much capacity left. Everything works fine, EXCEPT:

When shutting down the laptop (in the evening) and trying to restart it in the morning it does not start on battery although its full.
I need to plug in the power cable then it runs. After having booted I can remove the power cable and work for hours on battery.

What could be wrong here?

On thing I noticed: The clock time is wrong (few hours back) in the morning until the time service synchronizes it again. Does that ring a bell?

Thank you in advance for good ideas.
Frank

Mar 24, 2023
I have checked this, yes. Its certainly not an issue with the connector socket or connector not plugged-in well!
The funny thing is: I have re-replaced with my old (original) battery and everything works perfect with it (except that the max. capacity of the original battery is no longer good).

Meanwhile I have asked the battery seller to send me another battery and the same issue with the 2nd new one.
Exactly the same issue and behavior. Now I suspect there is an issue with the production lot / batch of those batteries.

Perhaps the internal wiring is not correct/perfect and missing to provide power to all necessary pins - even though the batteries main purpose - to let someone work w/o A/C power for hours - is fulfilled (and this work pretty well, there is not prob with the capacity of the battery aas such).

What would you guess?
Any other ideas. The fact that the original battery works well seem to rule out an issue of my hardware ...

Bye
Frank

Mar 24, 2023
Its an aftermarket offering (provided by iFixit Europe). The part number printed on the replacement battery exactly equals the original one
(L16M4P60). The cells seem to be good quality, I could work with it for a whole day. However if I cannot power on on battery its finally unusable.

maybe try updating your laptop´s BIOS if available

try charging to 100% and discharging (by just using it) 3 or 4 times before trying to replace it again

if it´s not powering on try the reset button on the side of the laptop to revive it
(Use a straightened paper clip in the reset hole to reset the laptop.)

get an original battery or try a different seller

Mar 24, 2023
Finally, it turned out that there seems to be the same issue with the first two batteries delivered to me. I have now purchased a battery from a different source in Germany and with that one everything works well.

Of course I have informed the first provider about the problem. Whether its a general issue, an issue with a specific lot of batteries, or an issue with the combination of my Yoga 920 and these batteries from this provider remains unknown. And to make it clear, it was not at all "lowest-price" replacement!

Reactions: helpstar