Intel Core i7-4510U
8GB DDR3
500GB Hybrid HDD + 8GB SSHD
14" 1920x1080 LED
2GB NVIDIA GeForce GT820M
DVD Recordable (Dual Layer)
4-Cell Lithium-Ion Battery
Windows 8.1

Would this be suitable for video editing? Someone mentioned that the U at the end of the CPU stands for ultra low voltage which isn't suitable for any kind of editing. How valid is that statement? And will this machine be suitable in delivering what I want in terms of content production? Bear in mind that I'm not looking to dish out tons of money.

Solution

Spectre694

Estimable
Feb 28, 2014
What kind of video editing are you looking to do? light editing once in a while no problem. If your looking for large video files (esp. more than 1080) or everyday content production you simply won't be happy.

waleedsaleh

Estimable
Mar 30, 2015

I'll be running adobe premiere pro and after effects most likely. Footage will be 1080p for now and will work with higher res down the line.

Looks like this option will be far from suitable.

Any recommendations?

Spectre694

Estimable
Feb 28, 2014

Ya that setup won't really be what you want then especially long term.

So does it need to be a laptop or will a desktop work for you instead? You will be able to get better for the same or less money on a desktop especially if you already have a monitor etc.

waleedsaleh

Estimable
Mar 30, 2015

A laptop was preferable, but seeing how I wont be able to find options capable of delivering within my price point, i have to go with a custom desktop build.

What should I look for in terms of internals?

Spectre694

Estimable
Feb 28, 2014

I would recommend starting a new build thread. You will get more replies with different prices etc.
But basically you will want plenty of RAM at least 8 Gb i5/i7 CPU (AMD works but you have to OC them to get the same performance and they run hot not ideal for long editing sessions) Nvidia GPU because adobe supports CUDA much more than they do OpenGl and maybe a SSD for your OS

Solution