Solved! Buying my 1st high end gaming laptop

May 5, 2020
Hey guys
I'm not 100% sure on which gaming laptop to purchase, I will also be using my laptop as a workstation as well for music production and photo and video editing, now I'm not tech illiterate guys I'm pretty tech savvy I no what a GPU CPU RAM SSD HDD Processors are and their purposes my issue is the small things Im not aware of that will make all the difference for example I just learned about GPU thermo limitations, themo throttle, G-Sync, and certain laptops have pros and cons in those departments so I just wanna be sure I get the right 1 I'm also going to be VR gaming I'm aware of the requirements for VR but I'm hearing of dual GPUs and graphic amplifiers like wont those things heat up the laptop more and do they really make a difference idk guys please help lol. Now my budget is 4,000$ but I can push for 5,000 I'll just have to VR at a later date, I'm considering these 4: the Alienware m51,Asus mothership,Msi GT76 Titan and Evoc P775. I'm leaning towards the m51 but I saw the rtx 2080 heat's up quick. So Heres the specs on the m51 I built

i9-9900K (8-Core, 16MB Cache, up to 5.0Ghz w/Turbo Boost)

NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 2070 8GB GDDR6 (OC Ready)

32GB, 2x16GB, DDR4 XMP 2933MHz

256GB PCIe M.2 SSD + 1TB (+8GB SSHD) Hybrid Drive

So just let me guys thanks
P.S. Oculus rift/rift S or Vive Pro/Cosmo

Solution
G sync is nice but not really needed, I would not worry much about it in a system with a high refresh rate screen and a decent video card.

What accessories and warranties you want added is up to you. I would not bother with an extended warranty unless it was much cheaper than 600, for that much you can almost buy a new laptop. Damage and extended warranties are really you gambling your money that something will go wrong, everyone has a different idea about what is appropriate for them. Based on statistics, most extended warranties are wasted. Plus companies that offer them have been known to go out of business or something will go wrong that is not covered.
I don't like buying high end laptops, can't upgrade them, not easy to fix with swapping parts, heat issues, less reliable than desktops by far.

Do you need a laptop for portable work for editing? I would recommend a moderate gaming laptop in the $1,000 range for travel and desktop build. Much easier on the wallet, better performance, if the laptop dies on you after warranty you are not out 4 grand. Desktop parts are more reliable and tend to have longer warranties on them, and are easier to swap. If your video card or power supply dies, you can replace those. In a laptop, it's a new motherboard at a cost of almost the full system.

May 5, 2020
I don't like buying high end laptops, can't upgrade them, not easy to fix with swapping parts, heat issues, less reliable than desktops by far.

Do you need a laptop for portable work for editing? I would recommend a moderate gaming laptop in the $1,000 range for travel and desktop build. Much easier on the wallet, better performance, if the laptop dies on you after warranty you are not out 4 grand. Desktop parts are more reliable and tend to have longer warranties on them, and are easier to swap. If your video card or power supply dies, you can replace those. In a laptop, it's a new motherboard at a cost of almost the full system.
Well I'm always on the go so I need a laptop for my school work music production and photo/Video editing, but I'm also a gamer and so I figured I get a all in 1 laptop. So far as the gaming, mainly I really want to try VR gaming and some PC exclusives

Well I'm always on the go so I need a laptop for my school work music production and photo/Video editing, but I'm also a gamer and so I figured I get a all in 1 laptop. So far as the gaming, mainly I really want to try VR gaming and some PC exclusives

If you must have a laptop as your only system, I'd go for about a $1,500-2,000 model, something from this range would be fine https://xoticpc.com/collections/extreme-series-gaming-laptops <-- I like that company for gaming laptop selection, very clear to see the specs and customize them.

May 5, 2020
Ok I checked them out and I have 2 part reply ok now I see they have a wide selection of different models and brands so I'm assuming xoticpc does the builds and sales the different brands, now 1 trend I been noticing/something I been wondering is, Ive noticed the screen resolution makes a nice price jump, I been considering getting a 4k screen on the laptop is that over doing it or at least 2560 x 1440 is fine

Part 2 is I dont Necessarily have to have a all I 1 I just figured 2 birds 1 stone i can bring my "VR gaming laptop to a friends house or work instead of hauling a desktop around or having to only VR/game at home but if i gotta do that then so be it if it's a better cheaper Reliable route". So let's say I do go with a Moderate laptop and do a pc build what price range am I lookin for a good desktop that I can VR on.

I don't like 4k screens on laptops, the screens are too small to take advantage of the high resolution. The text and icons end up so small you run it at lower res or need to use the scaling to make everything larger.

If you have a 15" screen, 1080 is good, if a 17 then 1440 would be a good resolution.

For Desktop builds there are many in the Systems section, including in several sticky posts with recent submissions, many from the moderators. Even if you just get a laptop, I just don't think that spending 4,000 or even 3,000 on one is the best idea. This one is a bit over 2,000 and will run VR games just fine https://xoticpc.com/collections/extreme-series-gaming-laptops/products/msi-ge75-raider-10sfs-226

Last edited:
May 5, 2020
Hey hope ur weekend was great. Ok so I checked out the laptop u recommended I have just a 2 part question, (1) I see it doesn't have G-Sync shouldnt i get a laptop with G-Sync? (2) I forgot to mention that the warranties I've been selecting on all laptops I customize are 3-4 year plus packages which is adding like 600-800 to the price plus accessories like backpack, gaming mouse so its adding 800-1000, the 2200$ laptop u recommended is at 3400 so am i going overboard with the warranties I just want my investment protected for a good while

G sync is nice but not really needed, I would not worry much about it in a system with a high refresh rate screen and a decent video card.

What accessories and warranties you want added is up to you. I would not bother with an extended warranty unless it was much cheaper than 600, for that much you can almost buy a new laptop. Damage and extended warranties are really you gambling your money that something will go wrong, everyone has a different idea about what is appropriate for them. Based on statistics, most extended warranties are wasted. Plus companies that offer them have been known to go out of business or something will go wrong that is not covered.

Solution