kaaaaaskop

Great
Mar 16, 2018
Hello there,

Since I am no longer able to play video games with my gaming laptop, I am wondering if I am able to sell it for its parts so that I can buy (or at least allowing me to get together a budget faster) a gaming desktop pc.

The laptop I have is an MSI GT72S 6QE Dominator Pro laptop that's little over two years old and still works amazingly fast and can still handle video games like a beast. It's quite a high-end gaming laptop.

However, after extensive research it has come to my attention that the issues pertaining to my laptop's behaviour is a faulty motherboard (specifically the Power IC). This is incredibly expensive to replace according to the manufacturer (the motherboard at least, and just fixing the chip could result in my laptop becoming unusable if it goes wrong), which basically allows me to get a whole desktop pc if I save up for a few extra months. Gaming without an adapter or doing any other task, with or without an adapter, gives no issues at all.

I have two identical adapters, one of which is less than two months old. The other has the same age as the laptop, yet still works swimmingly.

This link has the specs:

https://tweakers.net/productreview/127829/msi-gaming-series-gt72s-6qe-055nl.html#b

Note that the website is in Dutch, but if you scroll down you'll come across the specs list which is in English.

How much would my laptop be worth for its parts and as a whole? The parts themselves don't mean much to me since I have little to no knowledge of hardware at all, which is why I want it to be appraised. Even if it's a general amount, it still gives me a foundation so to speak.

I think I need at least 1.200 euro's (1.500 would be ideal) for a proper (high-end) gaming desktop. Now I doubt my laptop would be even close to that amount, but if I know a (general) amount, I can decide whether to sell it or not.

I also still have a working (albeit a bit slow) ASUS ROG G75V gaming laptop that is about 4 or 5 years old, without any damage. (Perhaps a small scratch here and there.) I'm not sure if I wish to sell that one, but it can't hurt to know the pricing. Either for gaming or for parts, I don't care. I actually use it as a substitute to play games now, but the experience is obviously less than ideal since the hardware is outdated. (As in, too weak to handle most games properly these days. Ah, the advancement of technology...)

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Asus-G75V-Notebook.73636.0.html

I'm not counting on selling this one, but still, it's worth a shot.

Hope to get a reply soon. Thanks in advance!

Warm regards,
KaaaaasKop.

Solution

Then we/you need to do some investigation into exactly what is wrong with it.
If it is the motherboard, then....$100 would be about it.
There's really only 3 parts to a laptop.
The case, the motherboard, and the screen.

aquielisunari

Distinguished
I wouldn't sell it for parts either. When I need to offer a price I can either add up the parts individually and take off about 80% depending but with a laptop parting it out would be time intensive and very slow moving. I can look to eBay and see https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&_nkw=MSI+GT72S+6QE&_sop=16. Those sold listing should give you a good idea what you want to post it and sell it for.

kaaaaaskop

Great
Mar 16, 2018
I see, so whole it is then, but I meant that I would sell the laptop as a whole, but for their parts, would that sell? I will check out that eBay listing. Thanks Aquielisunari :)

Do you think the laptop will sell with presumably a busted motherboard? (or at least a part of it is busted...) That's kinda what I am worrying about to be honest: if it will sell at all. I'm still using my laptop right now, since I can do everything except play video games while plugged in.

So you mean add the prices off all the parts, then cut it down by 80% so there's only 20% left, or do you mean that I can sell my laptop at 80% of the total?

USAFRet

Illustrious

If it has an actually broken motherboard, be thankful if you can get $100 for it.
No matter how much you paid for it initially.

aquielisunari

Distinguished

You said
The laptop I have is an MSI GT72S 6QE Dominator Pro laptop that's little over two years old and still works amazingly fast and can still handle video games like a beast.
and
Do you think the laptop will sell with presumably a busted motherboard?

If it isn't working right I would replace the motherboard with a a used one before I would sell it. As for you, it's up to you and your skill level. You might post a new thread and see if your supposition is right about it having a bad board.

kaaaaaskop

Great
Mar 16, 2018
Youch...

Although I am not 100% certain it's actually the motherboard since it hasn't been properly researched, others tell me that that is the problem. A broken Power IC part of the motherboard.

So people who love to dismantle this laptop wouldn't pay that much for it either in this case? Since everything is usable except (part of) the motherboard.

USAFRet

Illustrious

Then we/you need to do some investigation into exactly what is wrong with it.
If it is the motherboard, then....$100 would be about it.
There's really only 3 parts to a laptop.
The case, the motherboard, and the screen.

Solution

aquielisunari

Distinguished

I'm not going to assume. It's a high end laptop that seems like it they would want it.

kaaaaaskop

Great
Mar 16, 2018

Unfortunately, I lack the knowledge, skill and resources to put a used motherboard in her. I'd probably snap the whole laptop in half, hehe.

I actually have a post on here about this very problem, but perhaps I should start a new one with my newfound insight.

kaaaaaskop

Great
Mar 16, 2018

I don't really understand your answer. Could you clarify?

kaaaaaskop

Great
Mar 16, 2018

I see... I always assumed you could open up the case to take out the GPU and such.

USAFRet

Illustrious

Not even.
In most laptops, everything is soldered directly to the motherboard. All one piece.
There are some with a removable GPU, but not many.
RAM and whatever drive is in there are removable. But unless that drive is a large NVMe drive (250GB+)...$15.

Completely unlike a desktop PC.

jaslion

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012

I mean just put it into a pc shop that is known for good service (so avoid big box stores at all costs). They might find that it's only a small issue causing the laptop to act up and it could be an easy fix. They might also find out a bigger problem and then you known what the exact issue is.

If indeed the motherboard is broken the laptop is basically just a screen + ram and hdd.

kaaaaaskop

Great
Mar 16, 2018

I see... well, it has one SSD 128 gb, so that's something, right? :p