Less Revealing Body Scanner Demoed in Airports

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Telre

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2010
I need to be honest, I am almost more uncomfortable with the scanners with this change. The reason this changes worries me more is because less people will be outraged by them. There is still concern of the potential that these images are saved, and the amount of radiation these machines give off is questionable. There are questions of effectiveness, and certainly the loss of privacy. I work in the tech industry not in law, but I still do not understand how this is not an unreasonable search and seizure. It is also a situation of duress because there is no effective alternative available for many people in terms of cost and speed when compared to airline travel.

Finally there is the concern of many people who have had different illness such as cancer who are concerned with the radiation. I myself have not had cancer, but have had so many x-rays due to a chronic condition, that when I was in a car accident last year the doctor did not want to do any scans even though it was likely I had a concussion. For people like me who need to minimize their exposure to radiation, this is definitely a difficult situation. I will be flying soon and I am somewhat worried as to what will happen on my trip.

RooD

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2004
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

RooD

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2004
Also I dont care if people see me naked, its the concept of freedom... and a false sense of security that you get that upsets me... also I want to see a 10-20 year study of someone that travels for work 2-5 times a week, how much radiation can the body take? why do you put on a lead apron for Xrays? and why do xray techs go in their shielded room??

G

The nudity has never been a concern for me. I don't like being subjected to intense radiation therapy just to board an aircraft. I think these scanners are more likely to prematurely end my life than a terrorist is. Moreover, the entire process reeks of paranoia leading to totalitarianism. Didn't we already see that poorly scripted and poorly acted in Star Wars: Episode 3? This does less to protect us from terrorism than it does to train our society to comply and give in. Of course, we've been headed down that road for most of the last 100 years.

thlillyr

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
Death by a thousand cuts. Some jack of with 200 bucks of c4 in his shoes creates a new multiple billion dollar security precedure. Some jack off shoves 200 bucks of c4 in in underwear. Th is creates another multiple billion dollar security procedure body scanners. Several jack off with plastic knives crash othepeoples plans into our buildings causing a multiple trillion dollar war another several trillion cleanup process and another multiple billion dollars security me sure at big buildings and airports.

So terrorists have spent 1000$ and weves spent to infinity and beyond. Even america will run out of money at this rate. No matter how strong or proud or powerful you are if you run out of money your screwed worse than if you were invaded by a foreign power.

sailfish

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2007
Would you feel better about getting into a scanner if you knew all anyone would see would be a white outline?
The former head of Homeland Security, Michael Chertoff, as well as its current head, Janet Napolitano, should be forced to have sex together while being scanned and every TSA employee should be forced to watch the horrendous imagery until they crumble into a puddle of tears.

A system such as explained above is so obviously non-evasive one is left to wonder what type of pervs we have calling the shots in DC.

geofry

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
As a kid I never understood why my Grandpa would refuse to buy certain products. Now as an adult I understand completely.

I've pretty much given up flying, won't buy cars from GE, and now seems that GE is going to be added to the list.

This particular scanner is the same as the old one with different software, so the mild radiation hazard is still there. I'm not overly thrilled at the concept, but the part that really gets me are all the jerks in charge who get exceptions for being forced to use these too.

So they can kiss my pale butt if they think I'm going to submit to this kind of gross violation of privacy much less pay for it.

If they really cared about security on the plane, they'd give each passenger a 3 D-cell Mag flash light with instructions, right after the seat belt safety instructions, to beat down anyone who tries something stupid. Instead the only thing they can come up with is a policy only a perv would enjoy which turns out to be completely ineffective.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
body scanners in fallout new vegas ???? wow cant wait for the hack ...

^ that is a joke by the way , for those that don't know MCarran is one of the airports /areas in fallout newvegas , the joke was to good to pass up since people love making nude haks for FO NV

now jokes aside , maybe this will get rid of the even more pervasuive pat downs.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I'm against all body scanners. I don't really care if anyone can see my junk, I'm just against the stripping of our rights. I'll take the 1 in 100 million chance of dying in a terrorist attack over the 1 in 1 chance of losing my rights.

wawa sxm

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
that fixes the problem of naked images of kids but not the fact that i dt want to be bombarded by radiation for some false sense of security...and don't tell me tsa said its safe (they don't even know what is radiation).the world functionned fine before 9/11 its about time you stopped panicking and remember the real reason why there is so much terrorsit activity (two wars and pratically a third one with all the bombing in pakistan)

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Looks like they're listening to people. That's a great step, but lets' make sure we enhance the effectiveness of these scans first - remember it failed to detect a lot of threatening objects?

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]maestintaolius[/nom]"To combat terrorism" and "To protect the children" are the root passwords to the Constitution.I feel safer already, thanks security theater!I'm still more concerned over the old rich white christians in DC than the poor young brown muslims in caves on the other side of the planet.[/citation]
I agree with the first part... they certainly want to hack the Constitution and corrupt it as they see fit. But the rest is just stereotyping (race *and* religion, congrats) and bad logic. Especially the part regarding distance. Turns out that nowadays we have means of traveling great distances in these large mechanical birds we call "planes" and that just being on the other side of the planet does not actually mean *DICK*.

Status
Not open for further replies.