Less worse solution

Torr Geni

Estimable
Nov 16, 2015
Hi everyone,
I'm buying new laptop these days and I' m on very very limited budget. I will mostly use it for office and browsing but in very close future I hope I could manage to do decent work in AutoCad. I had narrow my choice on these 2. The one has weaker processor,but dedicated graphics,and the other has better CPU,,SSD,but integrated GPU. I'm aware that mentioned laptops aren't good enough(light years away),but I wonder which one will work more smoothly in ACAD? An d most importantly which one,acording to their configuratons,will cope better with big working load(and not to die in 2 month period; of course with regularly cleaning and apropriate cooling pad ).
Thanks in advance.

Dell / Intel Pentium 3558u / 4gb RAM(expendable to 8) / 500gb HDD / Intel HD + nVidia geforce 820m

Lenovo / Intel i3 4005u / 6gb RAM / 128gb SSD + 500 gb HDD / Intel HD 4400

*Laptop models are Dell Inspiron 15 5000 & Lenovo Idea Pad B50-80 but this don't mean a lot because in my country all companies usually sell much weaker configurations.

Also what do you think,which one will last longer(acording to the brand,precise series,etc. )? Durability is huge factor for me.
Thanks once more!

RealBeast

Distinguished
For AutoCAD I would go with the Lenovo, although both will not be a great solution.

Any chance that you can go with a desktop -- AutoCAD really is a lot easier to use on a larger screen than 15 inch, which is the absolute minimum size IMO and hard to use. Ideally, you would get an i5 with 8GB memory, a GPU, and a 19-21" monitor.

Torr Geni

Estimable
Nov 16, 2015

Thank you on your fast answer.

Kritonios

Estimable
Jul 25, 2015
Go with the lenovo one. It has more ram and the ssd will be a huge help to everything. And don't worry about graphics gt 820m is not so much better than the integrated one!

Torr Geni

Estimable
Nov 16, 2015

Thanks for reply.
Did anyone work on Intel HD 4400? What is GPU's estimated life length with reasonable usage and care (stupid question I know,that's why I asked for personal experience)? Dedicated can be supstituted. I'm pretty much broke so for the next 4,5 years there's gonna be no new laptop for me.

RealBeast

Distinguished
If you keep it clean (blow out the dust bunnies occasionally) and don't drop it, the HDD is the most likely component to fail within 5 years, although even that is not as likely with modern drives if you don't let your laptop overheat by using it on top of a pillow that could block the ventilation for example.

The Intel HD4000 is on the die with the remainder of the CPU and should have an extremely long life span.

Torr Geni

Estimable
Nov 16, 2015

Thank you for all your help.

Kritonios

Estimable
Jul 25, 2015

I haven't worked with this graphics card, but I have worked with others and believe me intel products are very reliable. There is no way it will get destroyed especially if you buy a laptop fan when it's working hard. I had been playing minecraft ON my lap for 2 years and still playing 2 hours per day and nothing has happened