Let's talk battery life - which phone will fit the requirements?

Aug 3, 2013
Right, at the moment I'm in the process of browsing the current smartphone market for a new phone. My 3 year old HTC Desire has entered an steep downward spiral when it comes to it's health. I need a new phone.

One of my main concerns with the Desire HD is it's battery life, it's rubbish. If I take the a 2-hour train ride back home with ~60 or ~70% battery life left, and I spent the majority of the trip browsing my phone, it's empty by the time I arrive. Also the camera produces some really boring, flat-colored pictures. Naturally I would like my new phone to excel in these two features.

My own definition of 'good' battery life is as follows: I would like to wake up in the morning, say 8 am, unplug it from the charger, use it for about 3 to 4 hours during the day (some browsing, texting, maybe some photos, and have plenty ( > 30%) battery life left by the time I go to bed at around midnight. Ideally if it's going to be a late night (clubbing, all-nighter, etcetera) I would like the phone to last 'till the next morning. Basically I just don't want to have the same Desire HD 2-hour train ride scenario described above.

So, what type of phones should I look for this time of year?
It'll probably be one of the high end models, like the S4, HTC One, Xperia Z, iPhone 5 ; i usually do not trust tech site reviews when it comes to battery life, user reviews are for more valuable.

TL;DR What phone will last me all day from 8 am till midnight, ideally till ~5 am in the morning if I'm going out, with moderate to heavy use ?

DeNachtwacht

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014
You first have to make the decision which OS you want. All iPhones have a quite nice battery life, though it is not really exceptional. On Android, I don't know which devices have good battery life, but for Windows Phone I'd advice the Nokia Lumia 720. This one easily gets 2 days without a charge.

Furthermore, if you really want good batterylife you need to tweak you phone. If you don't use internet via 3G, set your network to 2G, this is a HUGE battery saver. Every OS has its own tweaks but its important that you check them.

rawraj

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2012

Please an Iphone does not fit into the category of a nice battery. Otherwise there would not have been battery packs for it.
The iphone has a better battery life in comparison to the mah. basically an Iphone that has a 1420 Mah battery may last the same as an android phone that has a 1850 mah battery. But thats only because of the ecosystem.
lets not get into that.
The fact is that Android phones have better larger batteries and are smaller/thinner and weight much lesser than the iphones.
I own a Huawei Ascend mate but I would not recommend it as it has a homebrewed CPU and GPU that does not work well with games. I still have a phillips E122 for talking( a dual sim regular phone) I used the Ascend Mate only to browse.
the screen is huge 6.1 But I like it because I can code on it. This can last for 2 days with a decent usage.(with GPS and Data on all the time. If I enable Battery saver x then it gives me 3 days)
But it only has a full usage life is only 9 hours that means you can watch 9 hours of movie browsing or talk time.

I would recommend the Lenovo P780. I might buy it just waiting for the S860 from Lenovo again, Which seems to be the succesor They both have a massive 4000 Mah battery.
It costs a fraction of what an Iphone costs and it performs well.
Lenovo are known for optimized battery life. In comparison the Ascend mate it claims a 24 hour talk time(3g)
Stand by time is a ridiculous 840 h
It Says power Bank like the Ascend Mate which means you can charge other phones with an OTG cable.

The Lenovo is 5.5 or 5.3 Its smaller.
The Mate 2 is coming but the only improvement seems to be a higher clock speed and 4G.
I like the back of the Mate its self healing back. I have not protection on my ascend Mate I just put in my pocket with my keys and no scratches brand as new.

I am hoping the S860 has the same back. But I doubt it. I am not yet buying the Lenovo phones cause I am hoping someone release a huge batter phone with a scratch/dust/water proof back and front with a 4000 mah battery, Yeah I am a dreamer :p.

Now apart from these if you want a branded phone check out the HTC they have a great battery life. Don't let the lower Mah fool you they last longer than an Iphone too.
I think HTC one max has a 3300 mah batter but lasts as long as the Lenovo and Ascend. But its almost double the price.
There is a HTC one M8 which has a 2200 battery but like I said even if the battery is low it gives a pretty good time of 14 hours more than the ascend mate.