Question Letter D key works and sometimes not

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 21, 2019
I have a Dell laptop (Windows 10) that I recently bought like 4 months ago, due to the fact my other laptop just had the same issue (having unresponsive keys) yep, I'm this lucky that I got same issue on this one now. So, my letter d is acting unresponsive, sometimes I type it many times and it works fine and sometimes no matter how hard I press it, it won't react. It was acting really fine like 10 mins ago but then I opened a game and since I use it a lot while I play games ( W, A, S, D, ) it somehow started to act weird and boom, couldn't use it anymore, like sometimes it works and then it stops working. It comes and goes away. This issue reminds me of the other laptop I had, it started with one key and little by little other keys were getting affected by it, such as the F1, F5, the arrow down, etc. (but well that's the other laptop), if anybody knows how to fix this issue, please help me.

First time this happened I got a bit scared and thought it might have same issue like my other laptop, so then I went to Reset this PC > Advance Setup > Image Recovery and restarted everything. I stopped playing for a good time, then letter d was acting fine again, it came back to normal. All was working fine and then I decided to open the game and the issue started again, everything was fine and then back to it again.

Please, help me

It sounds like either...

a. There is dust, debris, etc., in the keyboard and it gets stuck
b. Liquid got in there and it has caused a sticky residue that makes it stick sometimes.
c. Due to over usage, it just may be the key is getting damaged.

Given the fact that you have had this happen before, I would say option c is quite likely. However, before doing anything more serious, try uninstalling the keyboard driver, reboot the computer (without reinstalling it first) and then let the computer reinstall it when it restarts. If this resolves the problem, then your system (or a program) may be making changes that are messing with the driver.

Now if it continues to occur, try an external keyboard and see if that works fine. If it works fine, then you may have damaged the key. The only options then are either replace the attached keyboard or keep using an external one.

Since you just got the laptop, and if it is new, then it should be under warranty. Should that be the case then contact the manufacturer about a repair.

Reactions: TurBoXe
Oct 21, 2019
I did uninstall the key driver and everything is fine as you can see I am using the D while typing and I am not having any sort of problem. Though, when I enter a game like CS:GO f.e it works good at start and then starts acting unresponsive until it stops. This happens when I am using keys too fast.

When I quit the game the key slowly comes back to life

About warranty, sadly I bought this through BestBuy.com and didn't buy a warranty for it.

If you bought it recently, no matter if you paid for the stores extended warranty or not, the manufacturer's warranty should still be good. I would contact them if it continues.

However, do note, that it is completely possible that it has to do with how you are with that key when playing games. Some people are just hard on keys/keyboards. :)

Reactions: TurBoXe
Status
Not open for further replies.