Lexicon Blu-ray Loading Less than 5 Sec.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

How about the OPPO BDP-83, same features as listed, very fast loading and only $499. Bargin :)

G

My Media center PC running on Vista (horrors) loads in less than 30 sec - and cost me around 800 with a combo Blu-ray / HD drive (my own build). I'll pass on the 3k version.

G

Or you can get the Oppo BDP-83 for $500. It uses the same Anchor Bay VRS technology, loades BD-Live in less than 30 seconds, plays BD, DVD, SACD, DVD-Audio, decodes all the HD audio formats internally, and provides 7.1 analog output if you want to use that.

lakers1985

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009
There may be a market for these players to which I don’t belong or wish to belong to. The same people who buy players like the Pioneer Elite BDP-09FD or Denon DVD-A1UDCI and then profess that they see blu-ray pictures that are leaps and bounds above the sub $1,000.00 blu-ray player and how great the dac’s sound. (lol) I think for lot of those buyers there is a placebo effect. I paid considerably more so it must be considerably better.

G

'Harman's VP of marketing Marc Kellom told the site that the player will also be capable of loading BD-Live titles in less than 30 seconds.

"Compare that to the Pioneer Elite 03 with 51 - 90 seconds to load and Sony's S350 or S550 at 28 - 67 seconds, and you can see it is much improved," he said.'

When I read that I just had to see what mine was capable of, so I timed it with the tray open, disk loaded, and pushed Play, and it was about 25 seconds till the first menu image appeared on a non BD-Live Blu-ray title.
My player: Oppo BDP-83

G

7 years ago I bought a Lexicon RT10 DVD player for USD 3,500. I thougt that I bought the best and they said that in time it could be upgradable with the upcoming technologies. 2 years later even the 100 dollar DVD players could output PAL progressive but my 3,500 dollars worth Lexicon couldn't. When I asked the company about the upgradeability, they said that 'We are not considering to make PAL progressive output from your model.' Instead they make another model RT20.
2 years ago the player has broken, although I was barely used it. I send it to the retailer which I bought, after 3 months they said that, it will cost at least USD 1,500, because they have to change the faceplate. And of course I haven't fixed it.
So 3 grand for a Lexicon BD player is very cheap in my experience, but I never buy any Lexicon product whatever the cost is.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
I can't believe how big an issue load times seem to be, i can wait 2mins for my two and a half hour movie to load! there doesn't seem to be this much of a fuss over the 20mins of ads when you go to the cinemas!

seatrotter

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
Thanks for sharing some of your experiences in load times.

I think the mentality here is the "instant gratification" experience. Do you recall how long it took for your DVD to load and start playing the movie? Unless it is a 1st gen cheap-ass player, I think it would only take a few seconds. With Blu-Ray, people expect the load time to also improve or at least be the same. And why not? These players cost $$$ (plus the movies themselves) and load time is the last thing that should be (negatively) affected, if it should at all.

With the DRM issue becoming more widespread to the general public, it leaves consumers a bad taste to have DRM further consumer satisfaction. Ofcourse, I'm assuming the bulk of the delay is due to DRM/security checks.

G

Here's a way to look at it:

Let's assume, for the sake of argument, that you are a real movie buff and watch 3 Blu-ray movies every week, 52 weeks a year, for 3 years (3 years seems like a reasonable lifespan for a device). Since the boot-up time is roughly 60 seconds faster than a standard player, this results in a net savings of about 468 minutes over the three-year period.

This 468 minute savings is, in fact, the only real difference between this device and the majority of other players available. If we estimate that the average mid-level player costs about $300, then the $2,700 difference in price for a 468 minute savings means that each minute saved costs you about $5.77.

Following this logic, an hour of your time should be worth about $346.20, roughly equivalent to rates charged by good corporate law firms. Similarly, the time you spend watching a two-hour movie would be worth around $692.40. Pushed even further, the three years of your life in question should be worth over $9 million. If you want to back it down a bit, and just count time for a 40-hour work week with two weeks unpaid vacation, then your time is worth $692,400 per year, or $2,077,200 for 3 years.

Sooooo...unless you are making $700K+ per year, and the extra boot-up time cuts into your earning potential, then I would say that this is a colossal waste of money. Of course, you could just go around charging people $5.77 per minute for wasting your time in order to make up for it--waiting 45 minutes for a doctor's appointment should be worth about $260, and waiting 5 minutes in line at McDonald's should be worth about $29. Bear in mind that, if you watch fewer movies, the cost per minute is higher, meaning you value your time even more highly!

P.S.--Personally, I only watch around one Blu-ray movie every two months, so the the ten minutes that it took to write this are worth about $1,500; subtract $6 to $12 for the time that it took you to read it, and send me a check for the difference!

geoffs

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
the $3000 retail price tag is due to a few things: High-mass transport
Ah, the "let's use irrelevant technology because audiophiles are familiar with it, therefore, we can charge more for it" argument. High mass transport mechanisms are only useful on constant velocity analog playback mechanism's where the high mass reduces wow and flutter. They're irrelevant to digital playback where the playback rate is determined entirely by a crystal oscillator. In fact, high mass transport mechanisms are counter productive in variable speed playback media (CD, DVD, Blu-Ray) where the ability to adjust the rotation rate based upon where on the disk you're reading from and how fast you're consuming the data is vital to smooth operation.

Status
Not open for further replies.