LG 65uj6200 won't connect to old Onkyo sr705 receiver

Apr 26, 2018
The setup im using right now is my tv model number mentioned above with my Playstation 4 Pro. Ive tried hooking up my optical cable from the tv to the receiver and went into my settings to change to the optical option to no avail. I've tried hooking up the optical cord from the ps4 to the to the reciver and still nothing. I've also tried hooking one HDMI cord from the ps4 into the reciver and another Hdmi from the reciver to the t.v. and still nothing. Does anyone know what else i can try to do in order to make my set up work. P.S My receiver does not support ARC but my tv does.

Solution
You may have to assign the optical connection to an input in the receiver input set up menu. The same may be true of the HDMI connection that you used when you tried PS4 to receiver and receiver to TV via HDMI.
Apr 26, 2018
I would try coming out the headphone jack on the TV and split it to left and right RCAs and go to an analog input on the receiver.
There is no headphone jack on the tv just an optical port that the only option for audio.

That looks like a decent receiver.

So you went from the optical out on the TV to the optical in on the receiver and it didn't work?

You had the input on the receiver set correctly? Perhaps there is an "output enable" on the TV that needs to be set?

Or perhaps there is something on the receiver that is enabled? (like tape monitor or something like that)

Do you have another optical player or receiver that you could swap in to determine which component isn't working?

Apr 26, 2018

To the first part of the question yes I went from the optical out in the tv to the optical in on my reciver to no avail.
I did have the tv set to the sound going out through the optical and have tried going through all settings to see if maybe I had it on the wrong one but still won't work.
I tried using an older sound bar to see if that maybe it was my tv but it wasnt. I also other outputs on the reciver but still nothing. It's really frustrating that no matter what I try with the tv no sound goes to the reciver.

So when you say..."I tried using an older sound bar to see if that maybe it was my tv but it wasnt."

So from this, can I assume that you get sound from the soundbar?

And also from this....can we assume the problem is with the receiver?

Apr 26, 2018

I get sound from the sound bar yes. The reciver works on my other Samsung tv though. So I dont think the reciver is the problem. The two systems just seem to not work together.