Solved! LG K10 & Google Android 6.0.1

JustAsIAm

Commendable
Dec 1, 2016
I have read many threads on this topic and they all have solutions to this problem, but none of them are working on my phone.

Ever since my phone upgraded to Android 6.0.1, all of my apps were moved back to the internal storage. I no longer have any option at all to move my apps to the SD memory card.

I tried to root my phone to bypass this issue (as Google seems unwilling to fix it), but whenever I try to root my phone, it either fails, or says that it cannot be done. I have tried Kingroot, KingoRoot, iRoot, TWRP, Kingo, and various other methods. Evidently, there is no way to root this phone.

I am not sure if this is a LG K10 issue or just Android 6.0.1. I have a friend with a Samsung J7 and they have the same problem.

Ideas?

Solution
That is not how to set up the phone to change the SD card to "Internal" storage, unless you are rooting the phone that is. If that is the case, I can't help you. I am not a fan of, nor use/recommend rooting devices. In such a case I would suggest posting a question in the "Rooting, Jailbreaking & Unlocking" Forum. http://www.tomsguide.com/forum/forum-117.html

Now if you want to know how to make the card "Internal" on a phone running "Marshmallow" (if it will allow it) without rooting, use the following info.

How to turn external SD card into internal storage on "Marshmallow".

NOTE: Please be sure you start with a blank SD card. It needs to be blank because when the card is converted to "Internal" storage, it will be formatted...
Many manufacturers are trying to limit peoples ability to move apps to the SD cards. I can see why, but then again I can see why they shouldn't. :) So that makes it a tad complicated.

The lack of ability to root the phone is really odd though. Almost makes me wonder if there is something else going on here, separate from the card issue.

Also, which version of Android were you using before? As I know that phone comes with "Lollipop" but it didn't have the option to run apps from the SD card in that version. You needed "Marshmallow".

Oh, in regard to your friends phone, that manufacturer has restricted that option on their phones. I don't know of any one of their phones that is running "Marshmallow" that allows for running apps from the card.

JustAsIAm

Commendable
Dec 1, 2016
This phone came with Android 6.0 and at that time, I was able to store the majority of my apps on the SD card. When the 6.0.1 update was installed, it all went away. Without the ability to have apps on my SD card, then I need to buy a new phone with a lot more memory.

It is ridiculous to put this limitation on my phone. I can't understand why manufacturers want to stop this. My wife has a Samsung G386T1 phone running Android 4.4.2 and it has the options to move apps to the SD card.

JustAsIAm

Commendable
Dec 1, 2016
webworkings, I have tried that.I originally thought there was something wrong with the sd card. I have since replaced it with a new one and still have the same problem,

JustAsIAm

Commendable
Dec 1, 2016
Do you mean 'restore to the factory defaults'? I will wait until my new sd card arrives and if I still have the problem, I will do that. There are a lot of apps on here and I don't want to have to reinstall of them. That is a very good suggestion tho. thank you.

JustAsIAm

Commendable
Dec 1, 2016
OK, I had to replace my SD card because I have big clumsy hands and I broke it. I have also decided to reset my device to the factory defaults just in case that was causing my problem. So now we are starting with a brand new blank Sandisk 32GB Class 10 SD card and a fresh install of the Android 6.0.1 operating system.

I went to the link that was suggested in another forum to adopt the SD card as internal storage (www.modaco.com/news/android/heres-how-to-configure-adoptable-storage-on-your-s7-s7-edge-r1632) and started with the process. My phone is plugged in and I selected "File Transfer" from the phone so that my computer sees it. I opened a command window on Windows 10 (Yes I have adb installed and running already) and typed "adb shell" and I get the following result.

C:\Users\Charles>adb shell
* daemon not running. starting it now *
* daemon started successfully *
error: device not found

Ideas?

That is not how to set up the phone to change the SD card to "Internal" storage, unless you are rooting the phone that is. If that is the case, I can't help you. I am not a fan of, nor use/recommend rooting devices. In such a case I would suggest posting a question in the "Rooting, Jailbreaking & Unlocking" Forum. http://www.tomsguide.com/forum/forum-117.html

Now if you want to know how to make the card "Internal" on a phone running "Marshmallow" (if it will allow it) without rooting, use the following info.

How to turn external SD card into internal storage on "Marshmallow".

NOTE: Please be sure you start with a blank SD card. It needs to be blank because when the card is converted to "Internal" storage, it will be formatted (wiped) and encoded (making the cards data only readable by that device).

1. Go to device “Settings”, then select “Storage”.
2. Select your "SD Card", then tap the “three-dot menu“ (top-right), now select “Settings” from in there.
3. Now select “Format as internal”, and then “Erase & Format”.
4. Your SD Card will now be formatted as internal storage.
5. Reboot your phone.

NOTE: If you don't reboot the phone, many things may not work correctly, so make sure you do.

Solution

JustAsIAm

Commendable
Dec 1, 2016
webworkings, thank you for those instructions.My phone (again, running 6.0.1) does not match what you are describing.

- "Storage" is actually "Storage & USB"
- When I select the SD card and then hit the three dot menu in the upper-right corner, I get two menu options: "Grid View" and "Settings". When I select "Settings", I get two options: "Eject" and "Format". When I select "Format", I am not given any options at all. There is no "Format as Internal" option.

Ideas?

See that is what I would expect to see, what you stated, since I have seen that manufacturer restrict that option on their devices. That you could before is what is throwing me. However, short of being able to get back to the prior version of the OS on that device, before the update, I can think of no fix.