LG May Have Leaked 8K iMac

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AcostaJA

Estimable
Dec 23, 2014
Apple's dont use to offer overkill hardware, in fact the 5K iMac was an jump forward, but actually is not an optimal 5K implementation, at leas for iMac STD, an 8K iMac may come but not this year, neither next year. This Year we will see the 4K iMac 24" and the 5K Apple Cinema display on USB-C instead DisplayPort/Thunderbolt, Thunderbolt sure will be followew for a thunderbolt 3 peripheral only interface.

hannibal

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
Emperor: "Good, Good! I can feel your anger! The pixel wars has started!"
8K is coming... not soon, because it is too much for most hardware, but this can push 4K hardware a little bit faster to more affordable state, because the 8K will be he premium alternative for those with deep pockets!

For us normal customers it will be good if Apple goes to 8K! It means cheaper 4K devices and also puts pressure on other device makers to move on 1080p or even worse...

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
The only point of getting 8K is for watching 8K content. Until the content arrives they buying a display of that quality is pointless. Possibly for 33mp pictures to be viewed without zooming out but that is such a narrow field as to be not cost effective. Bring the content and watch the screens fall in price, early adoption will only cost you money.

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
I have 31" 4k and 30" 2550 displays here at work... side by side. The 4k display is definitely a noticeable improvement at normal Desktop PC viewing distances. Text is noticeably sharper (meaning I can use smaller fonts)... images are noticeably more detailed. I'm typing on the 2550 display right now and while it's great - I can see slight pixellation of the text. When I drag the window over to the 4k display the text gets quite a bit smaller and while I think I can see the hint of pixels on sloping lines like the capital W and small a... it's really hard to tell if it's real or just my brain filling in what it knows is there because it could see it on the other screen.

I'd guess that an 8k screen could be as big as 40" and have very clean text.

Larry Litmanen

Estimable
Jan 22, 2015
Do i need to run 10 GTX Titan's for a game to run max at that resolution?

But all jokes aside, i was in Micro Center recently and i saw an iMac there and immediately i thought wow that display is amazing.

I have to say for $2.5K it is actually a pretty good deal considering that it is a full computer. Dell 5K monitor by itself costs like $1.5K.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Oh hey look...an 8k Apple product. 98% of the buyers will be robbed of their money because they're too dumb to realize that they won't be able to tell a difference between it and 4k at that screen size. The other 2%...who knows, might project the image elsewhere.

CherlynnLow

Estimable
Apr 7, 2014
Looks like there are plenty of pros and cons to 8K displays! I personally would like to see what "as sharp as real life," as some people tout it, would look like. We'll be sure to post our impressions when we get a chance to play with something that sharp!

And I agree with those of you who called out graphics chips needing to keep up. I think they will lag the display arms a little, but will definitely offer the processing power in time!

Content creators will catch up, too, but 8K files are gigantic and require different hardware to create. We'll see who has that kind of money to upgrade to keep up with trends, and who will decide to stick to 4K (or even just full HD)

ah

Estimable
Oct 29, 2014
At the moment, the TV stations are struggling to deliver 1080p contents, 2/3 of the channels in Australia are delivered in 570p...Need I say more?

turkey3_scratch

Estimable
Herald
Jul 15, 2014

I think for television in general any resolution does not matter much. Watching television is a lot different than gaming. When you watch TV, if you're thinking "Oh this image quality sucks" the show must be pretty boring. 4K for television alone I would never do, but gaming is different because gaming does not look life-like and TV does.

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
4K blu-ray is not even out yet, it is being released late fall, there is nothing filmed in 8k so 8k is a waste of time and money, cable where i live 90% hd content is 720p still.

daglesj

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2007

Yeah a mate of mine does 4K video editing and the only machine in the Apple range that can actually handle 4K video streams is the Mac Pro workstation. He says the 5K+ iMacs are just gimmicks.

pbergonzi

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2014
"Highest resolution that the human eye is capable of seeing." Well good--maybe the definition race will end and there will no longer be any TV development.

Status
Not open for further replies.