LG OLED 65" TV, two months old, magic remote working fine until yesterday, then nothing. Changed batteries, still nothing, rea

dajosi3

Prominent
May 5, 2017
Bought 65" LG OLED 4k television with magic remote. Paired without incident until yesterday, turned on tv working fine, went to change channels after watching for half hour or so and nothing, no light no anything, no writing across the screen. First thought was dead batteries, replaced with a pair of fresh AA Energizers, still nothing. No matter what I do, the magic remote acts as if it is DOA. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Solution
Could well be DOA.

The tendency is to make those remotes as cheaply as possible: parts, labor, little or no QA.

Does not take much to cause the remote to fail.

Manufacturers figure most people will not bother to return the remote - especially if the TV must go back as well.

Try to borrow another LG Remote to test. Or maybe even some generic remote - idea being to eliminate a TV problem.

See if the remote can be returned to the manufacturer via warranty.

I had one remote that would start to work again after a couple of firm taps to the palm of my hand. May demonstrate that something is loose inside the remote.

Could well be DOA.

The tendency is to make those remotes as cheaply as possible: parts, labor, little or no QA.

Does not take much to cause the remote to fail.

Manufacturers figure most people will not bother to return the remote - especially if the TV must go back as well.

Try to borrow another LG Remote to test. Or maybe even some generic remote - idea being to eliminate a TV problem.

See if the remote can be returned to the manufacturer via warranty.

I had one remote that would start to work again after a couple of firm taps to the palm of my hand. May demonstrate that something is loose inside the remote.

Solution
The LG magic remote requires you to shake a little it to display the pointer again, sometimes a little, sometimes more so. This is normal operation. But the fact it does not even change channels, says to me it is dead, but it was not Dead On Arrival (DOA) as you said it did work to begin with.

Jul 30, 2018
I just purchased LG TV and the magic remote worked when I first installed the TV and then it would only turn the TV on and off. I went back to best buy to get a replacement remote. My remote worked at the store and LG representative told me I just needed to pair the TV by pressing the Wheel (OK) for 5 seconds. That did not work either.

THE ONLY THING THAT WORKED WAS UNPLUGGING THE TV AND THEN PLUGGING IT BACK IN. Now I have no problems with the my magic remote.

Was a very frustrating day to find out all you need to do is unplug the TV for the remote to Reset.

Jan 2, 2019
Tried all the solutions on the net and resolved to buy another. Before I did so I had to shut down my router (for unrelated reason) and after i had reset all my equipment on the router (tv/pc/tablet etc) the magic remote pointer appears to work as it did when new. Pops on screen at the slightest touch every time and operates perfectly.
I think that in the old days any remote issues were 90% down to remote fault. Modern tech on the other hand is more app driven and rebooted one or both pieces of tech is needed. In this case it was the LG TV itself.
Hope this works for every one.
Basically turn router off. Wait 2 mins. Turn on again. Follow the instructions on your tv to restart.
NB any personal settings on your tv may be lost.