LG Revealing 84" 3D UDTV at CES 2012

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hannibal

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
[citation][nom]weatherdude[/nom]I'm not sure why manufacturers are making UDTV's. There's no system in the world that is remotely capable of broadcasting signals quadruple the resolution of 1080p. I'm not even sure the technical standards are ready and finalized. If anyone's gonna see a UDTV picture then it would definitely be locally sourced; at least for the near future.[/citation]

Hmmm... Most propably not broadcasting at these relolutions (it is possible though and there are test broadcasting of these) but new SBD-movies (sell every movie one time more...) and upscaling those pathetically weak HD movies, like they now upscale DVD movies.
All in all, this and UHD are for those wall size TV solutions where the pixel size is getting guite big. At this moment luxury items, in the future everyone has these or better.

magicandy

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2008
[citation][nom]amk09[/nom]Wishlist this year: LG 84'' 3D UDTV, 2 Radeon HD 7990's in quadfire.Imagine having one of these TV's in your room, setting up a desk with a keyboard+mouse about 10 feet away, and gaming at that resolution? YES PLEASE.[/citation]

Hate to break it to you but these TVs won't be sold to the normal consumer market for years. This TV will likely cost tens of thousands and will only be sold for advertising/corporate purposes. We won't start seeing consumer level 4k TVs in at least 5-6 years. Every CES there's always an LCD manufacturer showing off their huge 4k TV or huge 100+ inch monster LCD which will never be sold to the general public. It's all for PR and showing off "the current state of the art", not showing you what you will realistically be able to buy soon.

jgutz2006

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
UD is the next progression, and yes people thing its going to be a while due to not much content but last i checked, plenty of cable companies (Comcast/Charter i know of personally) broadcast in standard Def and then have another channel for the HD version of that channel. My HD tv can play the SD content until the HD content catches up. Its not like one day we can wake up with mainstreak 4k TV and plenty of 4k content at once. But the ability to play that 4k/UD excites me, + then just as we recently experienced there will be Up-Convert to make our 1080P even better when viewed on a 4K television

mcd023

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
they're encroaching on my projector's 110" display! (of course, the resolution is beat!). maybe one day I'll be able to get a projector at that res, but by then, I might just be able to buy a TV at over 100". haha. I wanna see how much space a 2 hour movie with 7.1 sound takes up on that thing. And if we're gonna have the tv, might as well have a beast of a sound system that allows you to hear the difference btwn 24bit/48KHz and 24bit/192KHz audio. :)

G

[citation][nom]amk09[/nom]Wishlist this year: LG 84'' 3D UDTV, 2 Radeon HD 7990's in quadfire.Imagine having one of these TV's in your room, setting up a desk with a keyboard+mouse about 10 feet away, and gaming at that resolution? YES PLEASE.[/citation]

Uggghh... I bet it would be a horrible experience. I would estimate the input lag between keyboard/mouse action to the on-screen result to be worse than the input lag of any typical touch screen, so over what, 200ms? I just bet it'd be bad. They might include some mode in the menu that reduces the image quality, but then they'll probably only make that mode available to any device using only a VGA or DVI-D connection... Again, I'm just betting here... And yeah, VGA, I know... but I'm betting what they do, not what they should do. ;)

beoza

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
[citation][nom]intel4eva[/nom]Also, that's not UHD. 7680 X 4320 is the current proposed UHD standard. This isn't even close.[/citation]

True this is not UHD but as some have pointed out it's a technology demonstration unit, or a proof of concept. It is however a step in the right direction. Sharp from what I have been able to find in my searching is the only one who has actually displayed a video at 7680x4320, but that was just a prototype shown on May 19th of this year. http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/19/sharp-shows-off-the-worlds-first-super-hi-vision-lcd-with-16x-m/ . We probably wont actually see true UHD sets for a few more years as they work to iron out all the details of the standard and manufacturers work all the kinks out of the hardware.

[citation][nom]f-gomes[/nom]I hope it is either a plasma or OLED panel. No more LCD crap, please.[/citation]

I agree with you there.

tbq

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
I hope it will utilize passive 3D glasses (like you get from a movie theater) rather than the clunky shutter glasses. That's the main thing stopping me from buying a 3D TV right now.

aidynphoenix

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009
this is getting out of hand,, we don't need to say high def. or ultra def.. we just need to say what resolution it supports.

and as a consumer, i would rather see them improve the performance of these television sets, so that a modern flatpanel can have the same performance as a CRT from 1993, but remain at a realistic price. i would give up the slim size of a modern flatpanel television if it would improve refresh rate. dark image quality, and response time.

dalauder

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]husker[/nom]An AMD eye-finity setup can also be over 8 million pixels at 5760 x 1200, so yeah, I'd say that the last couple of generations of video cards could handle a monitor this size with no problems. That is, if someone decided to support the non-standard 3840 x 2160 resolution in a game, but the hardware could handle it just fine.[/citation]But can I get 3 to use in surround mode?

dalauder

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]jgutz2006[/nom]UD is the next progression, and yes people thing its going to be a while due to not much content but last i checked, plenty of cable companies (Comcast/Charter i know of personally) broadcast in standard Def and then have another channel for the HD version of that channel. My HD tv can play the SD content until the HD content catches up. Its not like one day we can wake up with mainstreak 4k TV and plenty of 4k content at once. But the ability to play that 4k/UD excites me, + then just as we recently experienced there will be Up-Convert to make our 1080P even better when viewed on a 4K television[/citation]But the content is the exact reason I just went out and bought a $351 42" Panasonic 2D 720p TV. That price is great for Guam, so-so stateside. There just isn't that much content to where 1080p is that common today--let alone 3D. I see no point in future proofing when I can just spend under $500 on my TV today and have an extra TV a year from now for the same money out of my pocket. Future proofing is a broken concept. Because when the future rolls around, your future proofed stuff is old.

colinch313

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
[citation][nom]jms22[/nom]Im gonna buy one and play it with my Xbox 360....U MAD?[/citation]

Im gonna buy on and play it with my quad sli/crossfire gtx590/HD7970......U MAD?

.....actually i'm mad because there is no chance in hell i could afford that shit

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS