LG Shows Off Its 84-inch Ultra-Def 3DTV

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
LG is at CES 2012 this week and, as promised, the company has brought its first UDTV with it to Las Vegas. This 4K display, which packs four times the pixels your 1080p TV does, will be available this coming summer in three sizes (60-inch, 72-inch and 84-inch). Of course, something like this will cost you an arm, two legs, and a kidney. But, rather fortunately for us, the price of this TV has yet to be revealed, so our dreams of owning such a television remain intact for now.

Hey, as long as i have 1 arm to control the remote, i am fine. Sign me up

amstech

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
1920 X 1080 has limited the world long enough.

2560 X 1600 should be introduced in gaming/workstation laptops by the end of this year or I am giving up on mankind. We all know the large corporations want to milk the process for money and eliminate standarized technological advances, but it's time to poke the bear again.

Anomalyx

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
[citation][nom]amstech[/nom]1920 X 1080 has limited the world long enough.2560 X 1600 should be introduced in gaming/workstation laptops by the end of this year or I am giving up on mankind. We all know the large corporations want to milk the process for money and eliminate standarized technological advances, but it's time to poke the bear again.[/citation]
I'd sure hate to carry around a laptop with a screen large enough to make that kind of resolution actually matter. Then again, I'm a fan of 15" as a maximum size. That'll take about a 20" screen to give a significant enough difference from 1080p.

therabiddeer

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
[citation][nom]soccerdocks[/nom]For all the people who seem to think that going to a higher resolution makes no difference: Have you ever tried playing a game with Anti-Aliasing maxed and then played it with none. If you could notice the difference between those then you would notice the different going to a higher resolution.[/citation]
Yes, you will notice a difference on an 84" screen, but you wont notice a difference on a 24" screen.

Also, a game with AA maxed and a game with none is pretty significantly different from this situation.

mikewong

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
Please, we, computer guys, are also big consumers too. So why not put some effort and give us these kinds of monitors? I dreaming of a big (at leat 40") curved 10 bit UDTV / SHV...

koogco

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
Also, a game with AA maxed and a game with none is pretty significantly different from this situation.
Yes, this is not like AA maxed, it is like AAx2 (only this would be better since it wouldn't have to average those 4 pixels, but rather show them all)

For TV and movies, I think 1080p qualifies as "enough" in its current format (that is, 2D screen, roughly 42" and 2-4m away)
Higher pixel densities would be great news for gaming/workstations, but putting 4K on a 60" screen is like putting 1080p on a 30", so no news there.

As far as i can tell, there is little of interest here, although the higher resolution might mean more for 3D then for other things?

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
"LG is at CES 2012 this week and, as promised, the company has brought its first UDTV with it to Las Vegas. This 4K display, which packs four times the pixels your 1080p TV does, will be available this coming summer in three sizes (60-inch, 72-inch and 84-inch). Of course, something like this will cost you an arm, two legs, and a kidney. But, rather fortunately for us, the price of this TV has yet to be revealed, so our dreams of owning such a television remain intact for now."

Luckily for us, in a few years it might only cost a few fingers.

G

That's good news. So we will soon find a reason to upgrade to the all new UDTV-avchd handycams, buy new smartphones with UDTV video conferencing, get new tablets with UDTV-HDMI jacks, new laptops with UDTV graphc hardware and finally find a reason to save anything on the ageing BLU-ray disc! And the the massive OLED displays seem to be arriving quite on time.
I hope those technologies will be subsidised for owners of food stamps. Otherwise I wonder who will have the bucks to upgrade to that next consumer frenzy.

stevo777

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
I looks to me like this tech might be for those with deep pockets who want to be somewhat future proofed. Has anyone seen anything at CES where there are complementary products such as UDTV consumer cameras? Any word on a successor to Blu-Ray? My gut feeling is that companies like LG have lost most of their profit margins with the current TV's and are looking for extreme ways to make some money.

tomc100

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
The adult industry will lead the way in providing content for this resolution in no time. Then again, not sure if that's a good idea.

trandoanhung1991

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
[citation][nom]the associate[/nom]I was hoping for 1440 or 1600 on a 40-55", not this sick shit o.0Now I'll need what, two 7970's to run games at a decent fps?Time for amd and nvidia to catch up, the 7970's suppose to be 4k ready but I'd love to see them bench that res with any modern pc game for example...[/citation]

They already are. Just look for Eyefinity benchmarks or Nvidia Surround benchmarks.

Most sites do bench at 1600p now, but Eyefinity res are still uncommon, at least for now. I'm pretty sure that even with the 7970 and Kepler, there will be games by the end of the year that makes your brand spanking new GPU feels old. Kind of like the Metro/Crysis of 2012, if you will.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]tsmatthx2[/nom]Pretty sure my first phone took higher resolution pictures than are being put up to showcase these things.....What kind of ignorant tech moron puts up a picture, with 624 x 351 resolution, in the year 2011-2012? Simply pathetic....I can't even force my phone to go below 6MP....and that's trying to be bad....wtf? I mean really, my parents flip phones does higer resolution than this and they are like 5 years old....holy crap.[/citation]

yea... looking at a tv on anything besides the exact same model is pointless. and you have to account for what, 100k hits, a large picture would be what, 2-4mb, thats a crap ton of traffic.

-----------------

that said, people dont like hearing the truth that you need something to be at minimum 105 inches at 10 feet away to take full advantage of anything higher than 1080p

sewalk

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
"This 4K display, which packs four times the pixels your 1080p TV does"

Looks like someone needs to repeat middle-school geometry. Four times the vertical and horizontal resolution means SIXTEEN times as many pixels. All of a sudden, a likely six-figure price doesn't seem quite so insane. Still, 4k is far better suited to projectors and 120+" screens.

G

Resolution is nice... Change my aspect ratio! I want something like 30:9. One long desktop monitor with two stands or one fancy one.

Status
Not open for further replies.