LG Soundbar + LG 43LF540v = Impossible?

Don_6_

Estimable
Jan 5, 2016
So I made a pretty big error in buying an LG Soundbar on a whim as a gift for my partner, only to discover that my TV (mentioned in subject) has no audio out.

I've read about this HDMI splitter with a digital optical cable output that might be able to solve the challenge? Some say it works, some say it doesn't.

To be honest (obviously, since I didn't research this as thoroughly as I thought I would need to) I'm terrible with all of this audio/video jargon and tech, so what seems simple just somehow isnt for me.

For me, I like to think this is a pretty easy yes or no, as I have NO other devices connected. I just have simple Freeeview TV, a Chromecast (ok so that's kind of one other device) and want better sound quality.

It's going to be tricky trying to return it to the retailer in question, so if there's any way to get this to work, that would be more than ideal!

Solution
if it does not support hdmi(arc), optical out, headphone out, rca stereo out or bluetooth you're out of choices if you want from-tv content on external speakers. well, that is without manually tapping into the speaker wires going to the tv speakers (not likely).

the only way to use external speakers with a tv like that is if the content is not coming from the tv. for instance if you normally used the tuner inside for cable, you would need an external tuner which can hook up to the speakers. if you use apps on the tv you would need a separate box for that (like roku). impractical... but if they give you no options to output sound there is not much you can do.

Don_6_

Estimable
Jan 5, 2016
Hi,

It's strange that it lists that, and when googled, some suggest it had digital optical out. It does not. This is its connectivity.
Connections

Connector Type
1 x SCART (RGB / Composite) ( 21 PIN SCART ) , 1 x composite video / component video input ( RCA phono x 3 ) , 2 x HDMI input ( 19 pin HDMI Type A ) , 1 x USB 2.0 ( 4 PIN USB Type A ) , 1 x audio line-in ( RCA phono x 2 )

I made the assumption that HDMI = good to go, even without optical, without realizing the TV needs HDMI-ARC support to make this work, which it doesn't.

Thoughts?

if it does not support hdmi(arc), optical out, headphone out, rca stereo out or bluetooth you're out of choices if you want from-tv content on external speakers. well, that is without manually tapping into the speaker wires going to the tv speakers (not likely).

the only way to use external speakers with a tv like that is if the content is not coming from the tv. for instance if you normally used the tuner inside for cable, you would need an external tuner which can hook up to the speakers. if you use apps on the tv you would need a separate box for that (like roku). impractical... but if they give you no options to output sound there is not much you can do.

Solution