LG TV only optical audio out, want to connect headphones. What do I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution

Probably yes. Same kind of thing to the one I linked above, just cheaper. Just make sure it's a stereo only output from the TV and it should be fine, as long as you're not rocking an audiophile grade set of headphones and expecting that level of analogue to digital conversion quality.

Scott_128

Commendable
Dec 21, 2016

$170 seems like a bit overkill just for some headphones...

rhysiam

Honorable
Mar 24, 2013
Something like this would do the trick probably: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAAFF5339492&cm_re=optical_to_headphones-_-9SIAAFF5339492-_-Product
No guarantees on audio quality. However it looks very similar to a unit I use for optical -> analogue input into my speaker system at home. It's probably got the same active components to my unit. It runs into a decent-ish Sony Amp and speakers and it sounds pretty good to me. Having said that, while I appreciate decent sound, I'm no audiophile. I'm sure someone with good ears and nice equipment wouldn't be caught dead with a unit like that in their system.

But for $19 it might be worth a shot.

It's stereo only, so you need to make sure your LG TV can be configured to output 2.0 audio on that optical link. It won't handle a 5.1 or similar output.

Scott_128

Commendable
Dec 21, 2016

Your link didn't work. But yeah I'm no audio file, and the audio can be set to PCM which my research seems to indicate that would work?

rhysiam

Honorable
Mar 24, 2013

Probably yes. Same kind of thing to the one I linked above, just cheaper. Just make sure it's a stereo only output from the TV and it should be fine, as long as you're not rocking an audiophile grade set of headphones and expecting that level of analogue to digital conversion quality.

Solution

SMom40

Prominent
Mar 12, 2017
I have an LG 4k UHD with the same optical audio out. The best time for me to watch tv is after the kids go to bed so I bought some wireless headphones but the base still needs to be plugged into optical audio out port. My headphones are Sony Model: MDR-RF985R, the cable to the base is just an auxiliary cable and I plugged it directly into the optical audio out port. It works and sounds great!

Status
Not open for further replies.