Light with Good Battery Life

radrmd216

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011
I'm a student looking for a portable laptop. I would need the laptop by late August. Sooner is better but I can wait if in the coming months a lot of devices will be released.

1. What is your budget?
Around $500

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
13.3" seems like the sweet spot. Maybe 11.6"-14" range to create a bigger selection.

3. What screen resolution do you want?
Highest resolution possible, but at this price point it will probably be 1366x768.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Portable

5. How much battery life do you need?
As much battery life as possible.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
The only type of games I would be on the level of minecraft so I don't really need gaming power.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Just productivity related things. Coding, word processing, etc...

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
As much as I can get with a 7200rpm drive.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
Any place that is reputable and has a very good deal. I was looking at the Dell business outlet.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
That is hard to say. I'll talk about it below

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
I don't need an optical drive.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I'd buy from any brand as long as the specific model has good reviews and it is a good value.

13. What country do you live in?
U.S.A.

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
This would be my first laptop. I have a good desktop so I don't need much power in the laptop, just battery life and portability. I'm not sure of the type of warranty or support I should get for the laptop.

I was looking at Intel ultrabooks and waiting on the AMD ultrathins, but I'm not sure if that market will have good value machines yet. I like the Asus zenbook, but I'm not sure how much the price will drop when next gen versions are released. I would assume not a whole lot. I also like the transformer prime setup, but Windows 8 ARM devices are probably about a year away. I would probably keep the laptop I buy for a couple years and wait for the hybrid tablet market to get better. For what I want to do the extra price of thinness in an ultrabook probably isn't worth it.

I was looking at the Dell Vostro V131 to give an idea of type of machine I'm looking for. I like the thinner design and extras like the backlit keyboard and fingerprint reader.