LimeWire Resurrected, Supposedly Works Better

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]edilee[/nom]No...you don't get it. The RIAA is protecting musical artist and their music. Contrary to popular belief not all musicians are rich. If said band/musician does not produce record sales due to P2P networks sharing their music for free then their contract will not be renewed. New artist normally DO NOT make any $$ for the first couple albums and are in debt to the record company until their third release as long as they are having some success....if they are not having success then they will be at your local bar playing.Record companies provide the funding for artist and are in charge of promoting and distributing their music so they are a very vital part of an artist success and yes these companies do make money from the sales generated. Who exacty do you think the RIAA is fighting for? This is a copy/paste stating what their missions is from their site...."In support of this mission, the RIAA works to protect the intellectual property and First Amendment rights of artists and music labels; conduct consumer, industry and technical research; and monitor and review state and federal laws, regulations and policies."A recording artist used to get about $1.25 per album sold for a established mildy successful artist so that rate starts lower for a new band with a first release and more popular artist pull more. This figure is from a few years back so I do not know the current rates but this should give some perspective as to what the artist makes and what they lose out when people "steal" their music.I personally hope the RIAA gets more aggressive so people will think twice before downloading music they did not pay for.[/citation]

Just to make a point....the knowledgable use of malware was banned and deemed illegal by the US Gov't. The RIAA, after the ruling, was found to be using malware or to be more specific spyware to find and track users illegally downloading media. After being informed that their action was ILLEGAL, it took a cease and desist order before they stopped willfully spreading trojans to users. So, why is it just fine for the RIAA to willfully break federal laws on a global scale....but downloading a few songs can end someone's financial life? Why is the RIAA above the law?

Now, let's put something into perspective here. $1.25 per album....1 million albums....$1.25 MILLION in profit for the artist... If invested properly, they can live off the interest from that $1.25 million. Quite frankly, I don't feel bad for someone that sings for a living....not making $1 mil.... I bust my ass every day to make a living....nobody feels bad that I'm struggling to support my family. Why exactly should I feel bad for an artist that loses a few thousand dollars when they don't give 2 shits about those of us that actually support them?

Here, let me see if I can put things more into perspective for you.... I spend my time putting cars back together that idiots wreck. Those idiots expect me to work for free. If I expect to get paid for my work....I'm refered to as a thief. I'm actually on the higher end of the pay scale for my profession in my area...which is still very low when compared to the cost of living. People think bodymen and auto mechanics make a lot of money, but the truth is we work for next to nothing compared to the cost of our training. People have spent the last century trying to find ways to take money out of the pockets of mechanics and bodymen....and refer to us as thieves when they can't. Nobody seems to feel sorry for mechanics or bodymen who struggle to pay their bills... So, again, why should anyone feel sorry for a "starving artist" just because they only made $1 mil instead of $1.25 mil?

abottig

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
[citation][nom]zerapio[/nom]Awesome post! +100[/citation]
You are so wrong. The Internet is not going anywhere. People will always be able to download music that they haven't paid for. Therefore, the record companies need to come up with a new business model. It's called facing facts.

The best example I can use is Netflix. I can easily get any movie I want for free. Any movie. However, finding a good quality rip can be a time consuming process for certain movies. Even if the movie is easily accessible, you still need to verify certain attributes, uncompress, burn, so-on and so-on.

Netflix makes their service affordable and extremely convenient. Therefore, I have no problem paying $10/month simply for the convenience of being able to stream movies in HD. If the recording industry would adopt a similar approach(i'm not talking $1/song either), I would have no problem paying up. But as it is, high quality FLAC rips are much easier to download for free.

Telling people not to take something that is right in front of them will NEVER work. EVER. The RIAA cannot possibly sue everyone. It is the industry that will be forced to adapt, not the consumer. Cost and Convenience will be key. Until then, MILLIONS of us will continue to "steal" our music.

scifi9000

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
There are fools who actually believe that every song/game downloaded equates to money lost... rubbish I say, I buy most of my stuff and pirate a minority of my stuff. I can tell you now that the mojority of the stuff i pirate i would have never bought if I didn't get it free. I have purchased all the albums of artists i like (eventually), but I gurantee you they would not have become my favourite artists if I didn't know ther music first.. wher do you think i heard their music first? Did I buy a random album? I think not....

zerapio

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2002
[citation][nom]mayne92[/nom]The artists don't make zilch off of records sold...but concerts. Many WELL KNOWN AND POPULAR ARTISTS have come forth and said this and that they condone piracy because it is cheaper and better advertisement for them (go look up Disturbed for example) and they make their money from concerts. I personally hope that individuals becomes smarter...but I guess in the US...that is asking for too much...[/citation]
Yup, you're right. I've read that artists make more on concerts than on record deals. I missed that sentence when I read tayb's post.

[citation][nom]abottig[/nom]You are so wrong. The Internet is not going anywhere. People will always be able to download music that they haven't paid for. Therefore, the record companies need to come up with a new business model. It's called facing facts.The best example I can use is Netflix. I can easily get any movie I want for free. Any movie. However, finding a good quality rip can be a time consuming process for certain movies. Even if the movie is easily accessible, you still need to verify certain attributes, uncompress, burn, so-on and so-on. Netflix makes their service affordable and extremely convenient. Therefore, I have no problem paying $10/month simply for the convenience of being able to stream movies in HD. If the recording industry would adopt a similar approach(i'm not talking $1/song either), I would have no problem paying up. But as it is, high quality FLAC rips are much easier to download for free.Telling people not to take something that is right in front of them will NEVER work. EVER. The RIAA cannot possibly sue everyone. It is the industry that will be forced to adapt, not the consumer. Cost and Convenience will be key. Until then, MILLIONS of us will continue to "steal" our music.[/citation]
I haven't called for the internet to go somewhere. I'm not siding with the RIAA/MPAA either, I dislike them same as most here. But the fact that I dislike them and that I think they have a grip on most artists doesn't give me a right to pirate material.

I agree with posters that if the RIAA/MPAA adapt to times they'd make more money than they do now. I make sure I get the message across with my dollars. I don't buy CD's or DVD's, I get my music as MP3's from Amazon or Walmart and I watch shows on Netflix or Hulu.

You come and say that you also like the convenience of the digital format but are not willing to pay for it. There are plenty services that stream high quality music; Napster and Rhaposdy come to mind but I doubt you subscribe to those. Instead you lie to yourself saying that because $1 per song is too expensive or you can't find the right format then stealing flacs is ok. Hey I happen to like movies in super HQ for 30 cents. Not available? Then ahoy matey 'cause it's pirating time.

I'm just tired of listening to people making excuses for their bad habits. Like to pirate? Then say so but don't spew elaborate tales of what it'd take for you to buy something.

G

My LimeWire never even suffered a slowdown after the court decision, my LimeWire 4.18.1 works just fine. The RIAA's business model of selling millions of copies of the same song for $18 a CD is DEAD. Get used to it, if artists want to get rich they're going to have to tour. We are DANCING ON THE GRAVES of the music companies. DIE RIAA!!!!! Mark Montgomery NYC, NY

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
i stopped reading half way down so i could write this.

it principal i support the riaa and mpaa, in practice i can't.

they abuse laws that were meant to help them. as in against the counterfeiters. the people who took a camera into a movie theater recorded it, and dubed it to tapes or to cds and sold it for the cost of 1 ticket, popcorn, and soda with some snacks. those people were bad, and obviously so.

back in the day with napster, kazaa, and limewire, when they were in there prime, it was a lot of kids, and people who honestly didn't know better doing it. i mean i can listen to the song on the radio, i can record it if i like, so why cant i download it? kids who didn't know better, adults who were old and didn't. the people who knew it was wrong, they were un effected because they used means to hide themselves even back than.

so they took those people, and sued them the same way they handled counterfeiters, but because it was not a criminal act they were committing, just a civil, they sued for lots of money.

1 song = about 1$ now.
back than 1 song = about 10-15$

because you didn't buy single songs you bought albums. if they sued us for 10-100$ that would be acceptable, and no one would ever fault them.

if they sued us for the cost of a dvd up to 500$ no one would fault them

but they try to bend us over and make us take it hard, with trying for a million + for music, but willing to settle for 20 grand out of court.

like i said, in principal i can support them, but in practice i cant.

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
GTO you're a little off on the DTV. First off with Direct TV you hacked the cards, so the people getting sued were actaully the suppliers. The person simply recieving usually don't get screwed with. Just like DN were you can use FTA boxes and IKS to still get free satalite. But as long as there is a legit reason to have the box they really can't touch you. Unless you're a complete idiot.

Now with this limewire I do agree. I hope to many people don't get busted using this. As you know the RIAA is gonna be fired up on this one, and probably use all their resources to put a stop to it. Of course it won't work, but their gonna get some.

blubbey

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
Is there anything else you guys and gals can think of which would be better faster, lighter and with less adds? Lets get the RIAA to nuke it :p

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
I may dislike LimeWire and use different P2P software, but I approve of this. Good work everyone. A smile on my face first thing in the morning.
Now I just need a address to mail this giant cookie to.

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]edilee[/nom]No...you don't get it. The RIAA is protecting musical artist and their music. Contrary to popular belief not all musicians are rich. If said band/musician does not produce record sales due to P2P networks sharing their music for free then their contract will not be renewed. New artist normally DO NOT make any $$ for the first couple albums and are in debt to the record company until their third release as long as they are having some success....if they are not having success then they will be at your local bar playing.Record companies provide the funding for artist and are in charge of promoting and distributing their music so they are a very vital part of an artist success and yes these companies do make money from the sales generated. Who exacty do you think the RIAA is fighting for? This is a copy/paste stating what their missions is from their site...."In support of this mission, the RIAA works to protect the intellectual property and First Amendment rights of artists and music labels; conduct consumer, industry and technical research; and monitor and review state and federal laws, regulations and policies."A recording artist used to get about $1.25 per album sold for a established mildy successful artist so that rate starts lower for a new band with a first release and more popular artist pull more. This figure is from a few years back so I do not know the current rates but this should give some perspective as to what the artist makes and what they lose out when people "steal" their music.I personally hope the RIAA gets more aggressive so people will think twice before downloading music they did not pay for.[/citation]

If you are an artist and you want to make money, do live shows and stop whining. The RIAA is only protecting the major labels who are in turn exploiting the artists. Id like to see the labels go chapter 11, all of them.

BTW, the interweb does not follow societal rules. I steal whatever I want, deal with it. Its not like I would buy a CD anyway.

Protip: Limewire is for finding viruses and personal info stored on .txt that some suckers stored in his sharing folder. I use torrentz dot com.

deletemach_kernel

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2010
[citation][nom]abottig[/nom]You are so wrong. The Internet is not going anywhere. People will always [citation][nom]sykozis[/nom]Just to make a point....the knowledgable use of malware was banned and deemed illegal by the US Gov't. The RIAA, after the ruling, was found to be using malware or to be more specific spyware to find and track users illegally downloading media. After being informed that their action was ILLEGAL, it took a cease and desist order before they stopped willfully spreading trojans to users. So, why is it just fine for the RIAA to willfully break federal laws on a global scale....but downloading a few songs can end someone's financial life? Why is the RIAA above the law?Now, let's put something into perspective here. $1.25 per album....1 million albums....$1.25 MILLION in profit for the artist... If invested properly, they can live off the interest from that $1.25 million. Quite frankly, I don't feel bad for someone that sings for a living....not making $1 mil.... I bust my ass every day to make a living....nobody feels bad that I'm struggling to support my family. Why exactly should I feel bad for an artist that loses a few thousand dollars when they don't give 2 shits about those of us that actually support them?Here, let me see if I can put things more into perspective for you.... I spend my time putting cars back together that idiots wreck. Those idiots expect me to work for free. If I expect to get paid for my work....I'm refered to as a thief. I'm actually on the higher end of the pay scale for my profession in my area...which is still very low when compared to the cost of living. People think bodymen and auto mechanics make a lot of money, but the truth is we work for next to nothing compared to the cost of our training. People have spent the last century trying to find ways to take money out of the pockets of mechanics and bodymen....and refer to us as thieves when they can't. Nobody seems to feel sorry for mechanics or bodymen who struggle to pay their bills... So, again, why should anyone feel sorry for a "starving artist" just because they only made $1 mil instead of $1.25 mil?[/citation]
be able to download music that they haven't paid for. Therefore, the record companies need to come up with a new business model. It's called facing facts.The best example I can use is Netflix. I can easily get any movie I want for free. Any movie. However, finding a good quality rip can be a time consuming process for certain movies. Even if the movie is easily accessible, you still need to verify certain attributes, uncompress, burn, so-on and so-on. Netflix makes their service affordable and extremely convenient. Therefore, I have no problem paying $10/month simply for the convenience of being able to stream movies in HD. If the recording industry would adopt a similar approach(i'm not talking $1/song either), I would have no problem paying up. But as it is, high quality FLAC rips are much easier to download for free.Telling people not to take something that is right in front of them will NEVER work. EVER. The RIAA cannot possibly sue everyone. It is the industry that will be forced to adapt, not the consumer. Cost and Convenience will be key. Until then, MILLIONS of us will continue to "steal" our music.[/citation]

"starving musicians...." man thats goood....too bad with all that money they have...they still have tostarve to look good

nhat11

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
[citation][nom]WhySoBluePandaBear[/nom]People who do this deserve a special place in heaven. I'm tired of the undying greed this world has come to. So seriously, for all the people who do this...keep it up. F the RIAA/MPAA.[/citation]

All the content without a paying a dime, that's also greed right there. O the irony lol.

jaygee02

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2010
[citation][nom]WhySoBluePandaBear[/nom]People who do this deserve a special place in heaven. I'm tired of the undying greed this world has come to. So seriously, for all the people who do this...keep it up. F the RIAA/MPAA.[/citation]

Because stealing something you want isn't greedy, but trying to stop people doing so is?
I see you have 5 couches. I want a couch but I don't want to pay for it. You already have more couches than you need. I will take one. Fair enough? I don't think so.

MAGPC

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2009
well, In my country pirating is the way even if you're rich.
we have no services like netflix, and a call of duty legal copy would cost about 500 of our currency, just think that you may pay 1/6 of your salary if you're a middle class man for a copy of one version only of one game ( building my i7 rig costs about 5000).
So it should not be called pirating you greedy companies, it's sharing stuff ( a good thing done by mankind).

Status
Not open for further replies.