Linden Lab's Patterns Could Become The Next Minecraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

isnt the "minecraft" fad over by now? seems too little too late too me

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
unless the game is easily moddable, you cant beat minecraft.

i dont like minecraft for 1 basic reason... modding required to much work to get it set up right.
i also dont like that a game that basic, requires almost 2 gb of ram to run, and over 4 gb if i use a higher resolution texture...

but thats beside the point. this game looks complex, which will help it in the long run, but it looks like hell at the moment and is only really showing off look at me... and it doesn't do a good job at doing that.

you want to beat minecraft.

make minecraft with a good engine.
than make it so each block can be seperated into 27 parts, than make each part also seperateable, and than again, make each part seperatable, and do this for 5 maybe 6 parts.

dont let the world generate that way, let players make the detailed crap out of the world blocks. let them fuse those blocks together, and save the shape, so you could make a 30000 some block dragon, one block at a time, and than save it so you can easily place it again if you have the blocks.

minecraft is good, but you have to build on to the ideas, possibly allowing slopes, and making modding a day number 1 concern.

G

Would be far more useful if Lindens fixed all the bugs in Second Life before worrying about launching new games !!

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]dfgsfgdsg[/nom]isnt the "minecraft" fad over by now? seems too little too late too me[/citation]

minecraft is digital legos... who could "ever get" over legos... if they didnt cost 20$ for sub 100 blocks, i would have a crap ton right now just to play with because they are fun, and i cant do 3d modeling with a real program.

mouse24

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]unless the game is easily moddable, you cant beat minecraft.i dont like minecraft for 1 basic reason... modding required to much work to get it set up right.[/citation]
Basically all you need to do for modding is copy the contents maybe three different dependencies into a .jar file (which works exactly like cop/paste) then put whatever mods you would like to install into the mod folder. there are also easier tools to use, if that STILL isn't easy enough I suggest either using a premade mod pack (like technic) or stop using the pc.

[citation]i also dont like that a game that basic, requires almost 2 gb of ram to run, and over 4 gb if i use a higher resolution texture[/citation]

I run the 3rd highest res texture pack available just fine on 512mb of ram. The way javas garbage collection works is its actually detrimental to use over 1.5 gbs of ram.

[citation]make it so each block can be seperated into 27 parts, than make each part also seperateable, and than again, make each part seperatable, and do this for 5 maybe 6 parts.dont let the world generate that way, let players make the detailed crap out of the world blocks. let them fuse those blocks together, and save the shape, so you could make a 30000 some block dragon, one block at a time, and than save it so you can easily place it again if you have the blocks. minecraft is good, but you have to build on to the ideas, possibly allowing slopes, and making modding a day number 1 concern.[/citation]

1) that is not the way they wanted there game to be, it wasn't supposed to be a true lego experience it was just about taking what you are given and making something completely awesome with it.

2) about the multiple blocks, there are SEVERAL MODS that do this, Redpower 2 and Little blocks shoot straight to the top of my head after thinking for about 2 seconds.

warmon6

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom] modding required to much work to get it set up right. i also dont like that a game that basic, requires almost 2 gb of ram to run,[/citation]

They dont seam all that hard to me. Most mods makers give easy instructions on how to install the mods.

And if you dont want to take time to do that, there is mod packs that can take multiple mods and puts them under 1 roof. (Tekkit/Technic probably the best.)

As for ram, the default minecraft runs fine one a 1GB. (although do to the horrible in graphic in my laptop, i have to turn some of the settings down).

Now I only uses the standard texture pack but that's only because I haven't found one that suits my taste.

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
Has potential... minecraft was a lot of fun - especially for the money. IMO the key to success will be allowing users to easily make worlds that are more natural looking than blocky minecraft... EASILY. That's key... if it's a pita to build stuff with it then it won't go far.

Shin-san

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
Then again, Second Life was supposed to the the Minecraft of the day. This was believed so much that Sony crated Playstation Home

madjimms

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
I don't get why all you guys don't like it. I think it looks really interesting, especially with physics (take that minecraft!)

Draconian

Honorable
Aug 17, 2012
They ruined Second Life when they took out the gambling. That was literally half the economy, and it vanished overnight.

jemm

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010
Gambling still exists in Second Life, but now they say it is a skill gaming -- I have done a film for a game firm on the other day.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]unless the game is easily moddable, you cant beat minecraft.i dont like minecraft for 1 basic reason... modding required to much work to get it set up right. i also dont like that a game that basic, requires almost 2 gb of ram to run, and over 4 gb if i use a higher resolution texture...

you want to beat minecraft. make minecraft with a good engine.[/citation]Minecraft's main problem? Java. It would look and run much better both out of the box and with HD textures if it wasn't shackled by Java.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]mouse24[/nom]Basically all you need to do for modding is copy the contents maybe three different dependencies into a .jar file (which works exactly like cop/paste) then put whatever mods you would like to install into the mod folder. there are also easier tools to use, if that STILL isn't easy enough I suggest either using a premade mod pack (like technic) or stop using the pc.[citation]i also dont like that a game that basic, requires almost 2 gb of ram to run, and over 4 gb if i use a higher resolution texture[/citation]I run the 3rd highest res texture pack available just fine on 512mb of ram. The way javas garbage collection works is its actually detrimental to use over 1.5 gbs of ram.[citation]make it so each block can be seperated into 27 parts, than make each part also seperateable, and than again, make each part seperatable, and do this for 5 maybe 6 parts.dont let the world generate that way, let players make the detailed crap out of the world blocks. let them fuse those blocks together, and save the shape, so you could make a 30000 some block dragon, one block at a time, and than save it so you can easily place it again if you have the blocks. minecraft is good, but you have to build on to the ideas, possibly allowing slopes, and making modding a day number 1 concern.[/citation]1) that is not the way they wanted there game to be, it wasn't supposed to be a true lego experience it was just about taking what you are given and making something completely awesome with it.2) about the multiple blocks, there are SEVERAL MODS that do this, Redpower 2 and Little blocks shoot straight to the top of my head after thinking for about 2 seconds.[/citation]

i know how modding works on minecraft, and i despise that system. and useing a premade pack is find for most people, but i like to pick and chose, and the programs that make the modding process easier, fail to work with every mod. the mod community had to force things into minecraft to get modding to work, what i want is from day 1, everything in minecraft is open so you don't need forage, audio mod, mod loader, or whatever the 4th thing is. one simple way to install any mod you want. a built in mod manager even, something that isn't as complex as it is now.

enlighten me as to how you got minecraft to only use 512mb of ram, because even a blank slate takes 700mb minimum for me.

and now to legos

point 1, how is that not how legos work, take what you got and make something awesome with it.

point 2, im not thinking of that capabilities from a mod, im thinking of them from a built in main game feature, not something that has to be put in like that.

i was going to make a mock up of what i was talking about, but apparently windows inst liking usb right now...

kittle

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
looks interesting. Im curious to see where it goes -- since its so early in development.

For a better "lego" like game, checkout blockland.
Currently running a heavily modded version on my PC that uses 480mb ram (according to windows task manager). And no java to deal with.

Status
Not open for further replies.