LinkedIn Sued $5M Over Password Leak

Status
Not open for further replies.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
first of all no one forced that bitch to create an account....why is she allowed to sue the company?....i so dislike the American justice system

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]first of all no one forced that bitch to create an account....why is she allowed to sue the company?....i so dislike the American justice system[/citation]

so, your social security number gets stolen because a place you were forced to give it to didnt properly secure their whatever, properly remove it, so on so forth.

you life is basically now screwed over and will probably not get back on track for a long time.

so, what do you do? say this (dont want sanction) happens, or do you want to hurt the company that screwed you?

class action isnt about getting something for nothing, its about forcing a change, and most places refuse to change till it hurts them where it counts, their wallets.

yea yea, lawers get most of the money, but money isn't the point, the point is forcing change.

ibboard

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
"To the best of our knowledge, no email logins associated with the passwords have been published..."

WARNING: PR SPEAK!

Not published is not the same as not used. I've had spam come to the address I registered with at LinkedIn and was CCed to an address that I registered with at Last.fm. The two addresses were different (a unique address per site) and were used nowhere else. The chances of someone successfully guessing both of those addresses and using them both (and no others) on a spam message are slim to none, especially so close after the breach of both sites.

cee2cee

Honorable
Feb 13, 2012
There is no such thing as 100% perfect security... you use cloud services you implicitly are agreeing to take the risk of getting hacked. Lawsuits like this are retarded and should be thrown out immediately.

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
[citation][nom]jojesa[/nom]When you visit LinkedIn you see this messageYour email is safe with us!We will not store your password or email anyone without your permission. Irony...Ha Ha[/citation]

Well, considering that posted the passwords are hashed and supposedly, no one's email has been revealed through this, I'd say that LinkedIn is doing far better than most other hacked companies have been doing with their clear-text storage crap.

G

The real irony here is that security costs money and hammering the companies that make an honest effort to protect your information in an attempt to get them to ramp up on security will just end up lightening their wallet, thus providing a smaller budget for security.

How long did it take LinkedIn to report the theft? Their initiative at least shows that they have been more proactive about their users' security than many other companies that also had information stolen as of late.

The sad truth is that we just don't live in a world where people take responsibility for the things that happen to them anymore. Everyone is too busy pointing fingers and exploiting the law in order to screw somebody else over instead of dealing with their own problems, creating their own quality product, etc, etc.

jackson1420

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
That women suing should learn how to do security herself and avoid sites that get hacked. Or better yet stay off period. I get along just fine not having all that non-sense LinkedIn or Facebook.. email ftw

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]demarest[/nom]Why? The fact that she filed doesn't mean she's going to win.The irony here is that that bitch's computer has contracted over a dozen viruses THIS MONTH, yet she doesn't grasp the concept that we cannot control everything that happens in the world.[/citation]
i am surprised that she is even allowed to sue the company...this should not even be allowed, especially since she was the one that initiated to conduct any activity with the company.

Status
Not open for further replies.