Long-range Taser Uses Gernade Launcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

burnley14

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
A $2.5 million contract? That's not even pocket change for the Department of Defense, that's hardly even pocket lint. Still a cool idea though.

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
"the electrical grenades may still pose some harm"

... No shit, sherlock. Electrical grenade. Whether or not the force it's delivered with is harmful, I'm pretty sure 'Harm' is evident in the words 'Electrical Grenade'.

amabhy

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
3 minutes? Risk of bodily harm?

When its terrorists, murderers, and other scumbags we're talking about, who gives a damn?

pythy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
Hate to get one of these "hitting a sensative part of the body" with or without an electrical shock...... Ouch!!

Robert17

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2009
Let's see, two hundred yards away, armed, dangerous, should I call up the Spec 1 with the Mongo Taser, or just open up with a burst from my M4? Wait, he's spotted me, taking aim.........PowPowPow. Next question?

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Not to stomp all over them since they are obviously much more educated than me, but in my experience anything that travels about 200ft in less than a second or so tends to do bodily harm.....
/sarcasm

axekick

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
This is ridiculous, at what point will they consider "less than lethal force" lethal?

Taser International's own website claims that the Taser XREP(12 gauge taser shotgun cartridge) poses bodily harm from "blunt impact force." It's range is 100 feet so doubling that would seemingly more than double the impact force of the projectile.

I cannot fathom a need to incapacitate someone with a Taser from such a distance where rubber bullets, bean-bags and other traditional methods would not serve the same purpose.

Platypus

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
Sadly, I don't think a lot of readers here recognize the beauty of this supposedly non-lethal projectile. Our enemies in the middle east dress exactly the same as the people we are trying to protect. The troops must wait until they are fired upon before they can use their weapons, and they must physically see the weapon being used.

I say we get some inputs from readers who have actually been in the middle east before we blabber about how useful it would be to someone in the middle east.

One more use for the lightning grenade: fire it at a possible IED (hidden in parked cars, dead dogs, you name it). I'm not an explosives expert, but I would think an electrical charge like this would be able to detonate the IED from a safe distance.

Status
Not open for further replies.