Long-range Taser Uses Gernade Launcher

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hope Slayer

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2008
This less than lethal device is ment for area surpression not individuals. The LE agency I work for has been part of the on going field testing of various forms of what we call "WAD Shooters" Wide Area Dispersal. Imagine a module that is fired at around 220fps that then airburst discharges up to 100 probes and their conductive tethers. Anything hit by the probes or tangled in the tethers is administered the charge. We figure that once finalized the "WAD" will be able to incapacitate as many as 12-15 targets from 250 feet away.

"I cannot fathom a need to incapacitate someone with a Taser from such a distance where rubber bullets, bean-bags and other traditional methods would not serve the same purpose."

You do realize rubber bullets will cause severe bodily harm at close ranges and bean bags can cause internal damage depending on range and impact location? Tasers have their negative side effects as well, but far less potential for progressive damage or death as a result of use.

gwolfman

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
I can see it now: "I didn't mean to 'nade him, I thought it was my taser." (In reference to the case of the BART passenger New Years Eve in the San Francisco Bay Area.)

G

Where can I get some brains to go with my stupid personality?

chrisv815

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
[citation][nom]amabhy[/nom]3 minutes? Risk of bodily harm?When its terrorists, murderers, and other scumbags we're talking about, who gives a damn?[/citation]
until they start using them on college student protesters and 60 year old grandmas arguing over tickets. And you know it will lead to that.
The original taser was sold and marketed as a "non-lethal alternative to a gun, to be used in situations where the officer could safely disable a lethal threat instead of shooting and killing them". Now they use it on kids who won't eat their vegetables. Classic government "slippery slope".

Status
Not open for further replies.