Looking for 400 - 700 dollar laptop

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M review

If you look to the right of the review over at the NotebookCheck website you'll notice a long vertical column of graphics card listed. For comparison, there are some desktop cards mixed in about where they lie in terms of performance.

GeForce GT 640M is near the top of what they call Class 2 cards - fourth down the list in that category. If you move up above Class 2 you'll find the desktop HD 4850 fourth up from the Class 2 heading.

Androyed

Honorable
Jun 10, 2012

Thanks a lot for your help!

With that card, I found this laptop:
http://www.alternate.nl/html/shop/productDetails.html?artno=pl6czn3w&channel_code=110&product_code=47276971

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-Aspire-TimeLine-Ultra-Ultrabook/dp/B007PPCEO8/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1339528238&sr=1-1

I guess those prices aren't too bad. I'm just going to wait for Windows 8, see if the prices will drop. I'm happy to know a decent GPU in a laptop isn't completely out of my budget.

Again, thanks for your help!

The Core i5 2467M 1.60GHz is a bit weaker than you'd want to go for, it's one of the ULV (ultra low voltage) models more about saving battery power than for high performance.

But usually you CAN find a i5-2450 2.5Ghz CPU equipped model with the same graphics card for about the same price, maybe even a bit less. The Ultrabook models usually go for a premium price. GT 640M is pretty new and as the old models sell off you'll see more of that card (along with Ivy Bridge replacement CPUs).

Androyed

Honorable
Jun 10, 2012

Aren't Ivy Bridge CPU's good for power saving? I saw that Intel is coming with Ivy Bridge ultrabooks in the near future, even with touchscreen, which sounds interesting with Windows 8.

Androyed

Honorable
Jun 10, 2012
Also, Aspire TimeLine M5's are coming out in the near future. They have the GeForce GT 640M GPU, Ivy Bridge and are around 800 euro (14 inch)

Ivy Bridge is a full range of CPUs, quad core, dual core and ULV versions.
On a clock for clock basis they're a bit more powerful.

In your price range and gaming goals - the dual core i5 2450 2.5Ghz SB or i5-3210M 2.5Ghz IVB.

Androyed

Honorable
Jun 10, 2012

SB would be Sandy Bridge, and IVB Ivy Bridge? I would rather wait for IVB.

I want a laptop as a desktop replacement. I don't care about the screen size: I will be using a monitor anyway. I don't care about the battery: it will be plugged in most of the time anyway. I don't care about the thickness. I don't want super slim ultrabooks. And I don't care about the weight. All the other things like screen resolution and hard drive, I'm sure they will be fine. All laptops nowadays come with a decent screen resolution and a pretty big hard drive, and I have an external 1 TB hard drive anyway.

Androyed

Honorable
Jun 10, 2012
I just don't want to waste money on those things, that's all I want to say. I would rather spend money on the things that actually matter.

Androyed

Honorable
Jun 10, 2012

See the reply before that one. Basically, it comes down to this. I would rather spend money on things like the CPU, GPU, RAM than on the battery, hard drive, screen size and thickness. I don't care if my laptop is bulky, heavy and ugly. Most laptops today are getting thinner and thinner. And why? I don't want to waste money on that.

Androyed

Honorable
Jun 10, 2012

Hehe, I'm sorry! I wasn't asking your permission. I was just wondering if my wish is even possible these days. Acer, Intel, they all come with these ultrabooks. Are there any laptops that don't focus on size, looks and battery?

smakadopolis

Honorable
May 17, 2012
http://www.gaminglaptopsjunky.com/

check this place out for some suggested laptops at price points.
they give a small summary of what they pick and why, with some pros-cons.