Solved! Looking for a Budget Gaming Laptop

disturbed932

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
1_What is your budget?

Around $1000 or less, but will go to $1200 or so

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

Generally in the 15-16 inch range.

3_What screen resolution do you want?

Nothing too skimpy for Feb 2010. 1600 x 900 should be around standard?

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

I'd like to be in a happy medium here.

5_How much battery life do you need?

not too much of a concern, just not an absolute hog when unplugged. I'll be plugged in most of the time.

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

Yes, RTS games like starcraft and supreme commander. some undecided FPS games and other action games. High if i can get it within my budget, but will suffice with medium settings

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)

will probably edit video on my JVC Everio HD camcorder

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?

not an issue

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post the links to them.

reputable sites, amazon, newegg, xotic pc, etc.

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?

probably enough to get me through college, 3 years or so

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

on the fence here, i have a ps3 with lots of blu ray movies. I guess, just the best DVD drive available, with blu ray as an option to upgrade

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

anything but dell, and no alienware please. preferably ASUS, HP, Toshiba, any of the like i guess. not too picky, but i am looking at ASUS models.

13_What country do you live in?

USA

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.

I'm on the fence looking at older 2009 models at Best Buy like the Asus gaming laptop for $1000. its a crazy deal, or looking at the Asus N61,N71 with the new Optimus. I really like the idea of switchable graphics to save battery/performance.

boomerman18

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
Please dont go with asus. They are decent products but if for some reason you will need to issue an rma for a repair or replacment it will take over a month or longer. ive been waiting a month now for a simple replacment on this model.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220639
was great at everything it did but asus customer support is complete fail. Ive called them for over a week everyday and they say its in teh shop being looked at call back tomorrow. Well it doest take a month to process a replacment. I will never buy from this company again as they cant do the simplest of task. Today was the first day that the repari inquiry changed from 0% to 5%. WOOT go ASUS u guys really know what yo0ur doing.

TRENDING THREADS