Solved! Looking for a budget gaming laptop.

simplton

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010
1_What is your budget?

Would prefer under $1000.00 USD but for the right laptop I would spend up to $1200.00 USD.

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

Minimum of 17" - I need the separate number pad.

3_What screen resolution do you want?

I would like 1600X900

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

This would be my main computer. Weight and size is not an issue.

5_How much battery life do you need?

Minimum of 1 to 2 hours

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

Yes - Fallout 3 (High) - Any other games (Med)

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)

Watch movies and surf the net. Basic tasks.

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?

Minimum of 250GB

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post the links to them.

Newegg or any other reputable company.

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?

1 1/2 to 2 years.

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

Multi DVD

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

Like Asus, Acer, Toshiba. Do not like Dell.

13_What country do you live in?

United States

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.

Minimum 4GB RAM
Would prefer Windows 7

The laptop does not need to be a screamer but I would like to be able to play games for the next few years with 30fps at average settings. A quality display is critical because this is the computer I will use 90% of the time. It does not have to be the best quality display ever made but better than average with minimal issues at angles, etc.

Thanks for the help.

Solution

Gateway tends to use low quality stuff like the HDD and memory sadly... Their computers always lasted me 4+ years, but their tech support still sucks. If you are even 1 day out of warrenty, you can't call and ask a question about your product, or just ask about anything. They direct you to "Answer by Gateway" which costs like 30 bucks a call. I don't recommend Gateway to anyone anymore..

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+Laptop+with+Intel%26%23174;+Core%26%23153;2+Duo+Processor+-+Black/9556125.p?id=1218124208054&skuId=9556125

I'd highly recommend that one over the Gateway.

EDIT: I apologize, that link is broken. Just go to bestbuy.com and...

simplton

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010

That is only a 15" screen and the 17" versions are way out of my price range. How is pro-star is terms of quality?

simplton

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010

fgocards

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009

Gateway tends to use low quality stuff like the HDD and memory sadly... Their computers always lasted me 4+ years, but their tech support still sucks. If you are even 1 day out of warrenty, you can't call and ask a question about your product, or just ask about anything. They direct you to "Answer by Gateway" which costs like 30 bucks a call. I don't recommend Gateway to anyone anymore..

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+Laptop+with+Intel%26%23174;+Core%26%23153;2+Duo+Processor+-+Black/9556125.p?id=1218124208054&skuId=9556125

I'd highly recommend that one over the Gateway.

EDIT: I apologize, that link is broken. Just go to bestbuy.com and search for G72GX-RBBX05. It'll be right there.

Solution

Just so you know, that's pretty much the same with any of the large OEMs. I know I was touting Dell in another thread, they do the same thing. HP as well. If it's out of warranty, you have to pay to get help. That's how they get you for not purchasing an extended warranty.

simplton

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010

That is a nice laptop. It says it has a 16" screen which is a bit smaller but it has the separate number pad that I need. I like that I would get the ASUS standard warranty of two years with the accidental one year coverage. Something you don't get if you buy ASUS at Best Buy. Have to start comparing the 260m vs the HD5730 and see how they stack up.

Looks like it is between the Best Buy G72x and the N61. Any thoughts?

btw thanks to everyone that posted.

sakesuqs

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
The best buy g72x laptop looks good and so does the price, but people are saying the wireless kn that thing is very poor! Meaning no portability! Can anyone else confirm?

fgocards

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009

Not true. I called Dell a year ago to help me with a 5 year old laptop. They gladly answered all of my questions, I doubt my case is rare too since my brothers HP is out of warranty and hes called HP for help many times. Dell guided me through a complete reinstall of XP (I wasn't under warranty). That's when I wasn't too good with computers though. :D

Gateway just simply doesn't help with anything, you have to pay. Same with Acer and eMachines, but they're all under one company. I can't say much about Toshiba, but I doubt they're any different. Only reason I don't buy Dell is because I like Asus's quality better.

Things could of changed in a year though. I haven't called Dell since, but back then a year ago, they were very helpful.