Solved! Looking for a decent gaming/multimedia laptop <$1000

laire

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010
Hope you all can help me! I'm rather a newbie when it comes to computers, but I do know what I want- I am just not quite sure where to find my best option.

1_What is your budget?
Let's say $1000, but the cheaper the better.

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
I honestly don't care- if I can carry it and fit it in a messenger bag, it works. I just don't want one of those really small little notebooks they've just started promoting nonstop recently.

3_What screen resolution do you want?
I've been working with 1024x768, and it's ok, but bigger is likely better for my graphic design stuff.

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Well, I need it to be portable, but I don't plan on having any sort of non-portable desktop, either, after this purchase. Not sure if I really answered the question...

5_How much battery life do you need?
More than the dinky 15 minutes that my cheap, 3-yr-old Toshiba gives me. Battery life is not a large issue, but the more the better.

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
There are several games of various sorts I want to play, but the one that is a big reason for me coming here for help and with the highest required specs is the MMO LOTR Online. I'd like to play that in medium without too many problems (while high would be great, I'd be surprised if there is anything under 1000 that can run it at it's highest graphics with no issues- it's a very needy game...).

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
I want to run Photoshop, Illustrator, and other graphic design programs without too many problems and that won't freeze on me if I decide to open up iTunes at the same time... certainly want to be able to video edit and watch films without issues as well.

And, just to be clear, I want to do everything a college student needs to do on a computer. I imagine that won't be a problem with any laptops these days, but just in case.

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?
Over 300GB, preferably. Nothing small like 120 GB. If it's slightly under 300 with a good price that's ok too.

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post the links to them.
I was recommended both www.newegg.com and www.frys.com by others, but anything in the US is good. And a reputable site, of course.

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?
It looks like that the average laptop lasts 3-5 years, so let's go with that. Definitely at least 3.

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
DVD/CD rom drive certainly. Blu ray not required.

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Well, I've heard good things about Asus from my peers, but know nothing about it. I've used HP and eMachines desktops and they worked out well enough... I suppose I really have no preference on what I want.

As to what I don't want, my Toshiba laptop lasted three years, but I had so many problems with it in the first year of its life (thankfully covered by the warranty, but still) that I'm not willing to give it another chance unless I get some good recommendations from you knowledgeable folks here. I've heard of many complaints concerning Dell so I'm not sure if I want to try them. And only a PC, no Mac.

13_What country do you live in?
USA

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.
Awesome cooling system (or some external cooling equipment that will fit the laptop) will likely be necessary, considering what I want to do. I'm not sure if cooling pads are all-sizes-fit-one or not, so thought I'd clarify...

Thanks in advance