Looking for a gaming laptop $1100-1400

Daigu

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2010
1. What is your budget?

Anywhere from US$1000-1400

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

15.6" I'll be using an external screen so 15.6" is nice as it can be moved around a bit.

3. What screen resolution do you want?

1920x1080

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

Desktop replacement

5. How much battery life do you need?

The more the better obviously but not a consideration.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

All the latest for the first time in my life, so Skyrim, BF3, Max Payne 3 etc. on high.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)

General computery things.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

500GB+ I've been considering an SSD for a while now, and whether it's worth the price of entry. All I've heard points to oh god yes why are you not using an SSD you silly person. So I suppose that would be nice but not a requirement certainly.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

I've been looking at Newegg and XoticPC. One laptop I've been looking at is http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np9150-clevo-p150em-p-4341.html?wconfigure=yes
Sager seems to have the new GTX600 series at a great price, far more affordable than ASUS or MSI.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

Should last at least 2 years, obviously won't play stuff 2 years from now on Ultra, but that's not an issue, long as they run.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

DVDROM/Writer

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

My current laptop is a 3 year old ASUS, was decent when I got it but it's had some issues (for example overheating). I don't have any experience of Sager or MSI so I can't say. My friend has an HP that he's quite happy with but they don't really seem to make gaming laptops.

13. What country do you live in?

The USA

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

zental

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2004
I'm about to order that same model from Sager through XOTICPC. I beefed it up to a GTX 675m because it's the fastest on the market right now, equivalent to the GTX 580m but with faster clock.

Also added windows and the total comes to right around $1530. For me the extra $100 is totally worth it to get the latest video card since that really is the lynchpin of a gaming system.

Here's the only videos I've found with useful information about this brand new model online if you want to check them out. I am soo close to buying. Will probably order from them once I hear back from their cust support to see if I should add rush shipping or if they can get it to me in time with standard.

Cooler video to show off laptop: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7WQ1lLuJ_k
More tech spec video (the guy on the video annoys me): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tX-QdIf02eQ

BTW... sexy looking laptop :)

Also - if you don't know - these are the guys who used to make Alienware hardware before Dell bought them. Seems REALLY high quality to me and from reviews of the older models I've read.

Daigu

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2010
That is awesome, thanks for the videos! But because of bank issues I won't be getting this for months. I actually live in Finland, but had the ability to get it to the US and then here as it's so much cheaper. So yeah, no longer able to do that. Thanks anyways!

Pyree

Distinguished
If you are getting the laptop months from now, there is no point checking out the laptops. New Intel Ivy Bridge CPU, Kepler based Nvidia 6XX series GPU and upcoming Southern Island based AMD 7XXX series GPU will change the pricing.

Daigu

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2010
Yeah prices should go down eh? I was looking at them before the bank issues became apparent, funny how that always only becomes clear when you go to pay.

TRENDING THREADS