Looking For a Gaming/School Laptop - 850-900

Suv_Chuck

Honorable
Jul 26, 2013
Hey,

I am trying to find a computer that I can use for school, and I'm lost in the mass swarms of computers that have been released that really aren't what I want, so I was hoping you guys could help.

1. What is your budget?

850-900 MAX (CDN)

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

Anywhere from 14" to 15.6

3. What screen resolution do you want?

Preferably something around 1920 x 1080

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

Probably something more portable, as I need it for school.

5. How much battery life do you need?

5+ hours.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

I play Gmod, WoT, Minecraft, Civ V and Beyond Earth and I would like to play these on Med to high.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)

I do occasionally do minor photo editing for school, but were talking like Paint.Net so probably not a big thing.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

500gb+

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

I live in Canada, so anything Canadian would work.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

Preferably something that would last for 4+ years (although I don't need gaming support for games then(maybe if I could play on low?))

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

Not really a must, I don't care if it comes with one or not (Steam FTW)

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

Not a big factor for me.

13. What country do you live in?

Canada

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

I need discrete graphics. I don't really need a touchscreen. I would LIKE to have a back lite keyboard, but if that's to much, then don't bother.

Thanks in advance!

htwingnut

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2007
For $800-900 CDN you'll have to consider a machine with 840m or 850m, or if you can be patient, the 9xxm series should be here shortly that will be better performing and run cooler. Also if you can bump up your budget to $1000 or so you may be able to get a much better laptop.

Suv_Chuck

Honorable
Jul 26, 2013
Thanks for the response,

I was going to get a Lenovo Y40, but they won't ship to our address because I live 15 minutes out of town. I've been considering a Eurocom M4 (Canadian company)..... maybe it's worth waiting for Broadwell or even Skylake? Definitely would pay to be patient...