looking for a good laptop solution for my wife

rats13

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2008
The title pretty much says it all. My old PC is dying (which she is using) and I want a laptop that I can dock in its place so my wife can be portable and also use it as a desktop. Nothing superpowered. I want to run games (for my son) but nothing too demanding.

1_What is your budget? $1000-$1200ish

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? Probably 13in maybe 15in my wife like smaller

3_What screen resolutiondo you want? Dunno

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacementlaptop? I want a laptop to replace my old PC for my wife to use. I want to dock it to a 20” monitor and full keyboard

5_How much battery life do you need? Normal

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? Probably not high end games but I would like the option to run some games especially as my 3 year old son get older. I was thinking I need some sort of graphic card to give me the option going forward. Would 128 be enough?

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing, surfing the web, playing music, watching movies, Etc.) Microsoft Office, Photoshop, etc

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need? Standard amount probably around 250gb?

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post the links to them. Was considering Dell. Something along the lines of the M1330 http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/xpsnb_m1330?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop? 3+ years

11_If you would like to mention some other things about purchasing your ideal laptop, post them. Look for an overall solid laptop solution that will run some games but nothing like Crysis in super high res.

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

13_What country do you live in? USA

Last question: What kind of processor should I be looking at? I was thinking something like: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T8100 (2.1GHz/800Mhz FSB/3MB cache) but I really have no clue.

Thanks for any help advice you can provide. :bounce: