Looking for a good laptop

cst1992

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2013
Looking to buy a non-gaming laptop.
My budget is not known yet, but it is in INR -- maybe we'll go forward from the first couple suggestions.

I initally thought I could arrange some kind of customized solution such a Core i7, a ~120 GB ssd and 8 GB RAM to be able to expand to 16 GB for around 35-40k, but unfortunately there is no provision in India for such a barebones laptop build.
I checked some of the laptops on Flipkart too, but wasn't particularly satisfied with any of them.
My local computer man(for lack of a better word) is not really an expert in these matters either. Heck, even I know more about graphics cards now than he does! Anyway, he said that I couldn't get similar config to that one in less than 60k.

So I'm at a loss now. What laptop do I buy? I don't want to buy from Dell, I heard their laptops overheat(or get too hot at the base whichever is more appropriate I don't know).

What I want is that the laptop should be able to handle the next 3 years. The extra 8 GB that I'd want to put to make a total of 16 is not included in the inital budget.

cst1992

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2013
I know this thread is now old, but, well, I'm still searching, and this is what I came up with:
http://www.flipkart.com/lenovo-essential-g510-59-398343-laptop-4th-gen-ci5-4gb-500gb-dos/p/itmdp26exhgyducx?pid=COMDP26ETWKZUZUG&

Any cons? I'm thinking of sticking another 8GB RAM in there. Should I get a 120GB SSD? I really have nothing to do with a 500GB drive. I have an external one of 1TB.

aakarshan

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013
This thread is too much old but'
This laptop processer is weak than a 3rd Gen i3 Processer.So better off getting a laptop with 'M' series Cpu.The Ulv cpu are meant for ultra portability.
This laptop doesn't come with a OS. That means you have to buy a OS from outside.This will cost more.I again advice you buy a laptop with 3rd gen i5 and 6-8 GB of ram that would be enough for u.You can't get a ssd.

cst1992

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2013
I know I can't get an SSD.
No OS is fine for me. I could put Linux in there and don't want to pay 6k for win8 which I am not too fond of.
What terms are you talking about that the processor is weaker than an Ivy Bridge i3? Are you talking about the desktop i3's? BTW the i5 IS a M series.
RAM is not a problem. 4GB is fine until I have additional 5k, then I'll just buy off a 8GB RAM stick off Flipkart.com and stick in in there.

cst1992

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2013

That's essentially the same model, with a graphics card. I am not looking for gaming laptops, I have a desktop with a gtx650, which I'm sure is pretty powerful and much faster than any card a laptop can offer, especially a ddr3 one.

Also, please answer my other questions to you.