Question Looking for a good, reliable, 2-in-1 laplet from 2021

mrmike16

Honorable
Hi everyone,

I'm helping my mother get a laptop to replace a Samsung Chromebook XE303C12 from 9 years ago. She likes the idea of a 2-in-1, and since she's a lightweight user (Browsing, shopping, music streaming, and Zoom meetings), I figure with a 2-in-1 it wouldn't be such a big issue. She's also fine with the Chromebook's screen size of 11.6 inches, but I think that a 12-14 inch would be better. If needed, we'd go down even to 10 inches. On the other hand, we don't want to spend too much.

I've been looking at the Lenovo Flex 5, Lenovo Yoga C740 14, ASUS VivoBook Flip 14, Dell Inspiron 2-in-1 13 or 14 5000 Series, HP Spectre Folio, and two tablet-laptops- Microsoft Surface Go 2 and the Chuwi UBook .

All of them are pretty interesting. Even out of those last 2 I have trouble comparing, as the Chuwi is the cheapest option out of all of these but I'm worried about it's battery life and keyboard which have gotten negative reviews. The Surface Go 2 comes with Windows 10 S and also not a great battery despite their 11 hour claims, and I'm not sure if I can use an anti-malware program like MalwareBytes on it.

The other 2-in-1s, well, just not sure about. Anything with decent specs is overpriced on these things.

And as for specs, what I'm looking for here is not too pricey (Maximum $750 for this kind of thing should be enough), and not too sluggish. While it's true that she doesn't do any heavy usage on the laptop, it should still have a good battery life and not take a long time to loud- Remember, she's coming from a Chromebook which turns on almost instantly, so the patience for a slower computer is not very existent anymore. Screen size of 12-14 inches would be great, but we will go down to the 10 inch Surface/Chuwi if needed.

Another problem is from past experience, I found that many review sites just can't be trusted. I've fallen on too many issues on products that they just looked over and didn't report, such as the true battery life or touchpad issues. I do trust the members of Toms Hardware and Toms Guide, so here I am. Any help is appreciated, as always.

Last edited:
Surface Go is pretty good, HP, Dell I would avoid due to quality issues, especially Dell now. Lenovo products are much better. Also if she is used to a Chromebook, the Samsung or Asus ones are excellent, their higher end medal models that swivel. I have bought both brands for my daughter and both are great feeling with good screens and build quality.

mrmike16

Honorable
Surface Go is pretty good, HP, Dell I would avoid due to quality issues, especially Dell now. Lenovo products are much better. Also if she is used to a Chromebook, the Samsung or Asus ones are excellent, their higher end medal models that swivel. I have bought both brands for my daughter and both are great feeling with good screens and build quality.

Thanks for the reply- Can you give me any specific models to look at?
And is the Chuwi good enough?