Looking for a good tablet

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fishthedish

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
i am looking for a good tablet to get. i want something that is not overly expensive. i want to be able to watch videos and surf the net is all i really want. i have looked into the ipad find it expensive for what i want. looked into the kindle fire some. any suggestions?

Solution

Hi :)

Everyone "thinks" its locked to Amazon but its easy to sideload apps (takes about 10 minutes) from then on....Amazon is history..

I have loaded Opera for browsing (very fast on wifi)

BBC Iplayer (excellent)

You can drag and drop videos or tv shows to it as well (excellent quality)

Books of course...there are hundreds of thousands of free ones, including the latest ones...

I bought mine in the UK (Ebay £139) brand new and its one of the best things I ever bought...highly recommended...

Dickstar

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008

That's not true. You can get an Asus Transformer for 500 bucks.

Hi :)

Mine plays AVI`s fine....never tried others...

All the best Brett :)

Dickstar

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008

I wouldn't call that a good tablet. It runs an Android version mean for phones, not tablets, plus 7" doesn't cut it for me.

That's a 2nd hand one.

yea it is $499 on amazon for US. i was just wanting some opinions from ppl that already have talbets. this will be my first one.

The Asus Transformer is good, the Samsung Galaxy Tab is good, the Motorola Xoom 2 is good. Look for the tablets with the Nvidia Tegra 3 chips. The Tegra 2 is less fast, but fast enough still.

chudddds

Honorable
Mar 17, 2012

yeah, the OP used the word expensive twice, so i just went to the deal sites and looked for something low budget

Dickstar

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008
The kindle fire is a good device, but it's really limited compared to the Asus. You'll only unleach its full potential if you buy your books, movies and movies through Amazon. It is cheaper though.

fishthedish

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
i went with the kindle fire.

thanks for all the input and suggestions guys it helped a lot. i may not even have to sideload the one site i was worried about works with it as is but that might change down the line.