Looking for a headphone

Yonose

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
Hello,

Im looking for a headphone with best sound as possible for around $130-$200
Im using the headphone for mostly gaming but also alot of music.

I want over-ear headphone for good comfort and good quality sound is important, closed or open headphone wont matter too much for me.

A mic is not too important in the $130-$200, since i can get a external mic quite easy.

Multiple recommendation would be great.

Yonose

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
I might get a amplifier in the future if it will boost the sound quality for a good price.
What should i actually look at for a headset, what will the impedance have to say when it comes to a headset, and what will the frequency response also have to say?

I got the MSI Gaming 5 MoBo, it says Realtek ALC1150 Codec, if thats what you need.

guanyu210379

Distinguished
If you plan to have the best sound, the 80Ohm and 250Ohm version of DT770 is awesome but for this, you need an extra powerful amp.
I use Asus Xonar Essence STX and quite happy with it.
The normal amp on all onboard soundcard can not properly powerup these kinds of headphones.
No onboard soundcard can do that properly including your Gaming 5.
Those onboard soundcard can power up properly only up to 32Ohm headphones.

Frequency response? DT770 is simply awesome and comfortable.
There is a bit of small issues in the mid but this is complaining on extremely high level.

Yonose

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
A colleague recommended the DT770 aswell, and he recommended the FiiO E17 or the Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1, any thoughts on this, or do you guys have something else?

I can get the DT 770 Pro 80ohm for $190, and the Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 for $200.

guanyu210379

Distinguished
I do not have and never tried Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1, sorry, can not help you with that one.
I have only these:
ATH-M50 <-- for music on PC
Bose QC15 <-- for long journeys on train or airplane
DT770 250Ohm <-- for hifi
V-Moda M100 <-- for daily commuting
Bose IE2 <-- for sport
Logitech G35 <-- for PC gaming only
Tried Custom One Pro and several others.

Yonose

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
Alright, i have ordered the DT770 Pro 80Ohm, gonna then test some amp/dac which my colleague have.
I'll update this thread for what i liked for future research.

DasHotShot

Estimable
Feb 17, 2015
With respect and not to hijack this thread. I am on a similar journey to OP and am looking at the Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro, more or less exclusively for gaming, music (mostly streamed via spotify) and some video editing.

Will a soundcard like this power them properly, bringing out all or most of the performance available?
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=SC-088-CL&groupid=701&catid=11

What are the crucial figures I am looking for here?

Yonose

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012

No hijack here, think we all have a common goal to help people.
So i got the DT770 Pro 80Ohm yesterday and tested it (without amp/daq), sounded very weak without a amp/daq.
Im borrowing a mini daq from my colleague to see how the headphone perform.

I'll update this thread tomorrow after i tested the headphone with the mini daq.
The mini daq is a Aune x1 mk2 24 bit mini usb dac.

And by the way, my colleague wouldnt recommend a onboard sound card, you'll lose some sound quality because of the circuits, a friend my have a onboard sound card and experience the noise from the circuits aswell.

Yonose

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
So yesterday i used the DT 770 Pro 80ohm with the Aune x1 mk2 24 bit mini daq for about 5-7h

I know the headphone need like a x-numbers of hours to "warmup" before the sound quality is where it should be.
But the sounds still dident feel right, the sound was clear and all, but it still felt little bit weak and poor bass.

I'll try again with an amp to see how that goes. (i wont have an amp before next week)

Yonose

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012

Have you installed any drivers, and what technics amp are you using?

guanyu210379

Distinguished
Tehnics SU-A808
But I do not know exactly about this Amp, I inherited this from the previous room owner.
I have just somehow the feeling that he modified it somehow, I do not think the original end amp part for the headphone is strong enough to drive 250Ohm headphone properly.

Yonose

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
Update:

So i have used the DT 770 Pro 80ohm for about a week now, I had the Steelseries siberia v2 before, so thats what im comparison against.

The DT 770 had a slow start, it had a weak amount of volume in the beginning but it got better after some "warmup"
I also used the Fiio E17 (USB) and the Aune X1 Mk2 mini-daq (USB) with this headset, they dident do much else than letting me turning the volume higher which i had no use for.

DT 770 Pro 80 Ohm sound experience against the Siberia v2:
I personal dident notice much of a different, i havent used any equalizer for the DT 770 Pro yet but there will be later on.
With DT 770 Pro standard "settings" compared to the Siberia v2 with personal equalizer settings, there is almost no difference, i am able to run the same amount of bass level with the siberia v2 as i can with the DT 770 Pro.

After my experience buying (i borrowed those listed above from a colleague) a amp/daq seems like a complete waste of money, i dident notice any difference with or withuot the amp/daq.

How ever the DT 770 Pro is bigger than the siberia v2 which makes it more comfortable to use in the length.

So in the end it seems like i spend $200 dollars for a bigger headset with not noticing any difference from the sound experience. Also had to spend another $50 for external mic. (modmic v4).

I might get a better experience with the DT 770 Pro when i find a equalizer for it, at least i hope.

DasHotShot

Estimable
Feb 17, 2015
I have been using the Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro and Fiio e10K olympus 2 for a week now.

Have to say my experience is vastly different from yours:

Sound quality is improved, over using just the onboard soundcard, and due to 250 ohm impendance I was getting low top end volume. Thanks to the Dac/amp combo I have been able to bypass this.

In addition I tried using various methods to EQ and calibrate the headphones properly. No success. I am too nooby and uneducated in this subject.

The GOLDEN solution:

Unbelievably somehow...RAZER of all companies does the Razer Surround software which you can try for free and use for free if you are happy not tweaking anything.

If you pay GBP 11.99 you get access to directional calibaration (full set where sound is coming from), enhancements like bass boost and filtering of incoming comms from player with bad mics (it really works!!!) and best of all...an EQ. A simpel one, but an effective one.

My experience since last night is now VASTLY improved and I am very happy!

OP, try Razer surround if not just for quality and configuration!

guanyu210379

Distinguished
The warm up, you mentioned is widely known burn-in.
I noticed improvements in sound quality after about 40-50 hours burn-in time.

Sound quality should improved quite a lot on DT770.
Sound quality is also depending from your source, e.g. low/high quality mp3/flac, etc., music player software, the soundcard (DAC and end amplifier), equalizer settings and many more factors.