Looking for a High-End Multimedia/Student PC

Bacon_Party

Estimable
May 9, 2014
1. What is your budget?

$1,500 or less

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

15.6" or smaller

3. What screen resolution do you want?

1920X1080p with a touch screen, higher resolutions don't seem to work well with touch functions in laptops at this point and I have no need for a higher resolution. I also value screen quality very highly, things like color accuracy and ability to produce dark blacks.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

Looking for a more portable laptop for taking notes/programming/light gaming/watching movies or tv shows. I already have a pretty powerful desktop so there's no need to replace that.

5. How much battery life do you need?

I'd like at the very least 5 hours of battery life, but the more the better.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

I'd only be doing light gaming on it since I have a powerful gaming desktop to run anything demanding. The games I would be playing are along the lines of osu!, but I don't want integrated graphics.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)

I'd be doing some light photo editing and occasionally video editing.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

Not overly concerned with hard drive space, I have a desktop to store large files and even though I would be watching a lot of videos with the computer, I have no need to permanently store them on it.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

I'd like to be able to get a feel for the computer before I bought it, so I'd prefer anything local like best buy, microcenter, or staples.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

I want it to last me through college, so 4 years.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

It's not necessary to have one, I have an external optical drive already.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

Not a big fan of HP or Dell, I've had quality issues with them in the past. I've had good experiences with Asus and higher-end Toshiba products, so I am partial to them, but I am open to other brands as well as long as the reviews are good.

13. What country do you live in?

USA

Since I am paying quite the premium and planning to keep the computer for 4 years and photo edit/game I'd like it to have a full voltage i7 processor and dedicated graphics, though I'm not looking for a gaming laptop so they don't need to be top-of-the-line. Keyboard quality is also very important to me, so a good/decent keyboard is a must.

From my own research I'm leaning towards the Samsung ATIV Book 8:

http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/pcs/NP880Z5E-X01UB

But I'd like to get opinions from you guys before I jump into anything.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Bacon_Party

Estimable
May 9, 2014

Yeah money's not an issue for me so I don't mind spending a little extra for the power, thanks for the advice!

Bacon_Party

Estimable
May 9, 2014

Yeah I looked into the n550jk, If I go that route I'll probably stick with the JV version, only because the 750M requires less power than the 850M and I don't want to lose battery life.