Looking for a High Performance Laptop

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

raybender

Honorable
Aug 17, 2013
Hi guys,
I'm new to the forums and I would like to say thank you in advance to anyone who helps me in recommending a build for my new laptop.

I'm fully aware that what I want may not be available pre-built. I need suggestions on which brand should I pick to customize a gaming laptop.

1. What is your budget?
I'm from Malaysia, a budget ranging from RM7000-8000 (Roughly USD 3000+)
Willing to increase my budget if it means much better cooling and performance.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
Anything bigger than 15 inches is fine

3. What screen resolution do you want?
1980 x 1080 or higher (Your recommendation be it higher or lower is appreciated)

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Not sure what this means, but I'm going to be studying abroad, so this will be my only gaming device.

5. How much battery life do you need?
Anything is fine (Maximum performance) :)

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Definitely high. Some examples are Planetside 2, Dota 2, Skyrim and any other high performance games
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Nothing but gaming and using Microsoft Office for assignments I guess

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
1 TB should be fine

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
Don't know of any sites. Do recommend those that can be CONTACTED and don't take years(Sarcasm) to reply or perform repairs, maintenance or services.

Had a bad experience with a Sager laptop before, sent it back for warranty but the problem was never really fixed and it made me go without the laptop for a month+.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
3 years or more. I do have a question, I asked a few technicians and they say that whatever graphics card you buy can only play games(High quality) within the year it was released, is this true?

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
No need for one, will buy an external one.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
MSI caught my interest with their new gaming laptops (Not sure but willing to try)
Lenovo, no particular reason, never tried one before
Sager (Will be willing to try again, but had bad experience with service in the past)

Any other brands which the brand name itself isn't half the price of the hardware

13. What country do you live in?
Malaysia

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I am looking for a hardcore gaming laptop that can be overclocked and have a EPIC and I mean EPIC EPIC cooling system (or recommend me an external solution) that can maintain temperatures below 40-50 celsius.

Frame rates of 60+ if possible, if not I'm fine with 40+ or whatever frame rate that doesn't deliver the choppy bull shit.

A Solid State Drive as well

FYI: I'm not experienced in laptops

Solution
Ok; first things first. The hard drive affects both gaming performance and startup/load times for programs in general. The y510p features the standard 5400rpm which is quite slow in accessing files saved on it. Faster drives like 7200rpm drives, or even better, SSD's offer much higher access rates and so load programs (and games) much faster thus helping you gain a potential few fps.

As for warranty... It's a tough choice because you always have a chance of getting a "lemon" which is full of problems from day one. Amazon does, however, have a 30 day grace period in which you can return disfunctional items:

"Amazon.com Return Policy: You may return any new computer purchased from Amazon.com that is "dead on arrival," arrives in...